Topic: Digiface ADAT Locked w/ blinking Green light

My Main ADAT converter is a Lucid 88192 that runs IN & Out of my Hammerfall Digiface.  Works great.
I have recently changed my setup and added additional converter / preamps.  The Sync Check in DSP Settings shows it as being locked yet the green light on the input state of the Digiface blinks green.
The recorded audio seems to be ok.  I hear no issues.  I don't think there's any jitter, they sound like solid tracks. I've been digital recording for 20 years & have to say I'm not exactly sure what jitter sounds like but I'd probably know if there was an issue.

My main question is... Should I add an external Word Clock or is the ADAT clock solid even though there's a blinking green light on the Digiface?

What I have found is if a converter/preamp has both In/Out ADAT, all is good, no blinking light and says Sync.  If the converter does not have a IN then the light blinks green yet it says Locked.
I have searched the net extensively for the answer but have failed to find the info I'm looking for in regards to the RME unit.
I have read that ADAT clock travels only on the Out light-pipe. If this is so, how is the 2nd Converter/Preamp locked and recording seems to be ok?

I have a feeling that Sync Check should be reporting that all ADAT units should say Sync?
I'm also thinking I should just get a clock.  Probably get a BLA MkIII or a used Big Ben.

I'd be thankful for any help or answers.
Ned

Re: Digiface ADAT Locked w/ blinking Green light

That second converter needs to be synced from the Digiface, which requires it to be set to slave and connected to a DF ADAT output, or the DF Word Clock output.

An external clock will not solve this kind of wrong/incomplete setup.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by ramses 2020-04-05 07:40:42)

Too late ;-)

But anyway ... here the more verbose version:

No Wordclock is not required.

See manual chapter 34.1
https://archiv.rme-audio.de/download/dface_d.pdf

I assume that some or all of the newly added devices are not configured properly to get their clock from the digiface.
Remove all new ADAT cables.
If your 88192 was configures properly you should get LOCK (valid input signal recognized) and then SYNC (received signal has the same sample rate as you Digiface = synchronous).

Now add the 2nd device to your Digiface with the two TOSLINKS. Either the device is properly configured to get its clock from the Digiface via its ADAT IN port, then you should see LOCK and SYNC (green steady light). If the light is blinking at the Digiface then you have a lock, only a valid input signal has been recognized, but it is has not the same sample frequency, thus it is not in the desired status sync.

Do the same with the 3rd device and then I think you can solve the problem.

Assumed that all your connected devices have ADAT IN and ADAT OUT .. ADAT IN to be able to get the clock from the Digiface.
If this is not the case you need to implement this differently.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

RTM! Why didn't I think of that?! Ha!

My Units that have no ADAT IN can not get the clock signal. As I stated above "If the converter does not have a IN then the light blinks green yet it says Locked."  and as I read in the manual (Thank you ramses) the Digiface is telling me exactly what is wrong.

The reason I was confused was that the Audio seemed to be recording ok.
In reality the units are not in sync & there will be drop outs and what not.

So I will switch to BNC cables using the Word Clock from my Lucid WC out to the Digiface WC in with a T-adapter on to #1 Converter/Pre with another T-adapter to #2 Converter Pre with another T-adapter w/ a terminating plug.
It's my understanding that I only use the Word Clock Out BNC from the 1 unit that will be the clock.

There is vast amount of opinions on Word Clocks & Audio.
1 being that it's best to have a WC with BNC Out to each device rather than the daisy chain method I just wrote above w/ T-adapters.
There's a group of people who say if you have a good converter w/ a good Word Clock changing word clocks will not change the sound of the audio.
Then you have (I'd say more) people who say each clock has its own sound.  It will make reverb tails more apparent & a wider mix ect.
That is one area of the DAW world that seems to have no conclusion or definitive answer.  Much like sample rate conversion.

I plan to check out my DAW setup properly w/ the Lucid as the Clock. Then maybe see if I notice any differences w/ the Digiface as the clock and then my Focusrite as the clock.  I've been in contact w/ someone that wants to sell me a BLA MkIII clock but I have a feeling the Lucid will do just fine.

Any opinions on clocks?

Thanks so much for your input & help MC & ramses

5 (edited by vinark 2020-04-05 21:17:30)

You can make the device with only adat out master through this adat. Set the digiface to slave to that adat. That is the most simple and reliable solution. I have 4 devices connected to my hdsp9652 a pci internal digiface. All in sync without wc.
WC Will not improve sound and if it changes with a WC it is always for the worst. Even if you like it. Remember our brains like distortion in reasonable amounts.
Never get an external WC unless it is physically needed for a setup.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Sorry, seems that I overlooked this sentense, I though all have ADAT IN.

> What I have found is if a converter/preamp has both In/Out ADAT, all is good, no blinking light and says Sync. 
> If the converter does not have a IN then the light blinks green yet it says Locked.

Just for the case that they don't have I proactively mentioned that there are other solutions needed.

me: "Assumed that all your connected devices have ADAT IN and ADAT OUT .. ADAT IN to be able to get the clock
from the Digiface. If this is not the case you need to implement this differently."

Thanks @vinark

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

vinark wrote:

You can make the device with only adat out master through this adat. Set the digiface to slave to that adat. .

Yes, I understand that I could set my Focusrite converter/pre as the Master clock? This does work when it's just Focusrite / Digiface / Lucid (Lucid has the ADAT In for the  clock).  I did this today... all sync.

The other issue...
I also have another converter/pre (M-Audio Octane) that i will use from time to time that only has ADAT In.
The only way I see this working is to use BNC cables because all units have WC I/O.  Unless I'm still not understanding something?  Also... since the Lucid is my main & best converter I thought it would be best to use it as the Master

I'd rather not get a clock just as you suggested.

Just sync that one with the wc out of the digiface. Or both without adat in and the lucid as master.

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

Just sync that one with the wc out of the digiface. Or both without adat in and the lucid as master.

Sweet!! Thank you!!
All these years I had assumed that the Clock signal ran on one or the other, not both at the same time. My systems have always been small w/ just 2 devices going ADAT so I never put much thought into WC.
I am so excited about this!
It, as you know, worked & I can now choose any of the devices as the Master Clock.

I'm going to be doing some comparing of the clocks A/D
Even though I know Lucid makes a great clock I'm tempted to use the Digiface just because it's the central device.
Any opinions on the Digiface word clock?

Last question... Using the BNC cable from Digiface to Focusrite... Since it's just 1 cable going to the input do I still need to terminate it?  Or does that just happen since there is no cable connected to the Focusrite WC output?

Thank You to all you guys! MC, ramses, vinark

That should be in to Focusrite manual cause it is device specific (termination).
IMHumbleO, the digiface clock is just fine and it is not worth it going all esoteric about it, listening for soundstages etc.

Vincent, Amsterdam