1 (edited by Jp008 2020-04-17 11:39:59)

Topic: ADI-8 Pro compatibility

Does anyone around here know what other RME (non-PCI card) products are compatible with the ADI-8 Pro ? The reason I'm asking is, I would like to use it with a laptop, instead of with an old PCI card. I've owned a Hammerfall DIGI9636 card for years, but I'm finally going to retire my old PCI card related desktop computer in favor of something to use with a laptop.

Thanks in advance for any info someone can provide.

Re: ADI-8 Pro compatibility

Well it has ADAT inputs and outputs ... so take a RME recording interface with ADAT i/o and connect this guy via ADAT.

Cheapest choice .. Digiface USB ... you might prefer PCIe ? Then AIO / RayDAT ... pick what you require in terms
of connection to PC or other ports that you could need (MIDI, Analog, etc ...).

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by Jp008 2020-04-17 11:46:07)

ramses wrote:

Well it has ADAT inputs and outputs ... so take a RME recording interface with ADAT i/o and connect this guy via ADAT.
Cheapest choice .. Digiface USB

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a reason why the ADI-8 Pro is not detected by other converters with optical In/Outs? For example, I tried it with a TC Electronic Gold Channel and the RME ADI-8 would not lock onto it.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-04-17 11:54:14)

Maybe you
- didn't configure clocking (master, slave) properly and/or
- choosed wrong transfer protocol on one side (ADAT / SPDIF) and/or
- had an issue with the TOSLINK cable (broken, too long, ...).

The gold channel is a mic preamp, not a recording interface.
What device did the connection to the PC when you tried to connect ADI-8 Pro to the TC Gold Channel ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

The gold channel can use adat or spdif. When in spdif mode it won`t clock with the rme which is only adat, but as Ramses said it is not a useful match anyway. So if you want to use both you best get something with 2 optical ins and outs at least. Like the digiface usb.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632