Topic: New ADI2 with 4493 chip? Cost? Improvement over current version?

MC or anyone else who has compared the current ADI2 with the new one w/ the 4493 chip:

How much audible improvement is there between the two? What will the cost of the new version be? ($1150?). And is there a possibility of getting this listed on Amazon? Right now the Dac is not for sale on Amazon for some reason.

2 (edited by Curt962 2019-12-24 19:02:58)

Re: New ADI2 with 4493 chip? Cost? Improvement over current version?

Here ya go Rob.  The New ADI-2 DAC for pre-order in the US. 

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … -converter

Price difference?  $50 from the previous model.   That pays for the new, expanded Remote.

Sweetwater is an excellent seller.  Highly recommended.

Merry Christmas!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

MC could you please comment on whether a noticeable/audible sound quality increase can be heard with high quality speakers between the Version 1 and Version 2 ADI2 Dacs?

Objectively there is no audible sound difference in music playback between old and new DAC. Think about it: nobody heard noise or distortion on the old unit. Frequency response, feature set and other tech specs are unchanged, so how can the new unit sound different?

Technical improvements must not be immediately noticable to still make sense. Like the added 2.5 dB headroom for the volume control (my favourite in daily use), the increased intersample peak headroom when using the unit at 0 dB volume setting (peace of mind for scared listeners), or the 2 dB lower noise at the (already noise free) IEM output (just because we can...).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by willem 2020-01-08 20:38:54)

Precisely: there is no greater perfection than perfection. With the ADI-2 we have reached the final stage of sonic perfection. The same applies to first rate modern solid state amplifiers. If you want better sound, and assuming you are using at least a 16/44 digital source, the only thing you can do is improve the room's acoustics with either passive treatment or dsp room eq (or a combination of those) and different speakers. Speakers and the room make a much bigger contribution than electronics. Of course, there is also the recording and mastering quality, but there is nothing that you can do about those other than vote with your wallet.
Did you ever measure in-room response?

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

6 (edited by Curt962 2020-01-08 21:06:51)

Hi Willem!  Nice to see You again.   It seems we had some Fun with Audio Set-Up/Room matters did we not?   In the end, it apoears that it worked out nicely for You. And...it all worked out nicely with ADI DACAC V.1.0. !!

Welcome Back!

7 (edited by willem 2020-01-08 23:03:36)

Hi Curt,
Yes I think it worked out fine even if I really still have to do some final measurements. But I have been busy with work, the holidays and even some bicycle touring in this thus far extraordinarily mild winter. I have also started pruning our hedges with my new lightweight chainsaw. And today we launched the website of our research project on database integration of archaeological field surveys.
Right now I am listening to some soft jazz before my wife gets home from her Russian classes and we can go to bed.

RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Quad 606-2 power amp, Quad 2805 speakers, B&W PV1d sub with Antimode 8033 Cinema

8 (edited by Inkey31 2020-04-13 23:36:03)

Hello,

Edit, sorry:

So there are no (perfect is already perfect) audible differences between the newer revision compared to the older model, but there are functional differences?

"added 2.5 dB headroom for the volume control (my favorite in daily use), the increased inter-sample peak headroom when using the unit at 0 dB volume setting (peace of mind for scared listeners), or the 2 dB lower noise at the (already noise free) IEM output"

So these are things we cannot change about the version with a firmware update clearly.

Is that all worth it if you have money to burn in daily use?

9 (edited by Curt962 2020-04-14 01:57:29)

Inkey,

This is simply about RME implementing the newest Technology in their Devices.  They (RME) have no option if they are to remain a Leader in Digital Technology.

To us Home Listeners?  An inaudible Noise Floor is now MORE inaudible,.etc, et al. 

To us Veteran users, we're quite pleased with our "Vintage"(and Astonishingly Capable)  DACs.   New Users coming aboard can be assured of having all that, plus a few refinements, that they probably dont even hear. smile     So...let's let Tech move forward!  The improved Chip Implemenation merely adds another coat of Polish to an already highly refined product.

There is no mandate to upgrade.

Best!

Curt

Lucky you if you have a commuter flat in a nearby city and don't wanna carry around your audio equipment all the time, thus "having" to buy a second ADI-2 DAC, anyway...

*cough*

..how sad.. big_smile

Happily using two ADI-2 DACs to enjoy the best thing in life. ^^

MC wrote:

Objectively there is no audible sound difference in music playback between old and new DAC. Think about it: nobody heard noise or distortion on the old unit. Frequency response, feature set and other tech specs are unchanged, so how can the new unit sound different?

Technical improvements must not be immediately noticable to still make sense. Like the added 2.5 dB headroom for the volume control (my favourite in daily use), the increased intersample peak headroom when using the unit at 0 dB volume setting (peace of mind for scared listeners), or the 2 dB lower noise at the (already noise free) IEM output (just because we can...).

Hi MC!
May I ask why? Is it taken into account for the switch between the ref levels in Auto Ref Level?

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Sorry I personally lost you noob on that point, what do you mean exactly ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

I'm no engineer, and I may be wrong...
We can read on the ADI-2 DAC product page:

Finally, the device now also offers a clear reserve in volume setting. +2.5 dB result in a still undistorted analog output signal.

The Auto Ref Volume switches to the superior level just before 0 dB... With the available headroom, it may be possible to delay the switch by 2.5 dB, and optimizing the SNR by doing so.
(I know it wont change anything concerning the perceived sound, just being curious wink )

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

14 (edited by ning 2020-04-17 14:59:48)

N00b wrote:
ramses wrote:

Finally, the device now also offers a clear reserve in volume setting. +2.5 dB result in a still undistorted analog output signal.

The Auto Ref Volume switches to the superior level just before 0 dB... With the available headroom, it may be possible to delay the switch by 2.5 dB, and optimizing the SNR by doing so.
(I know it wont change anything concerning the perceived sound, just being curious wink )

It’s not related to auto ref level or SNR.

This is a feature provided by AK4493 and is called Large Amplitude Mode. It allows outputting 2.5db higher volume than it usually runs. Developers need to enable the bits to use this feature. RME just implemented code to utilize this feature in their device seamlessly — previously they have 6db digital headroom. Now the first 2.5 dB of it is analogue and does not clip.

See the following datasheet, page 57, Note 45. here, 3.75Vpp is 2.5dbm higher than 2.5Vpp, if you do the calculation.

http://d.zaix.ru/5cHC.pdf

And thus, this feature was not possible in previous version of ADI-2 Pro/DAC.

ning wrote:
N00b wrote:
ramses wrote:

It’s not related to auto ref level or SNR.

This is a feature provided by AK4493 and is called Large Amplitude Mode. It allows outputting 2.5db higher volume than it usually runs. Developers need to enable the bits to use this feature. RME just implemented code to utilize this feature in their device seamlessly — previously they have 6db digital headroom. Now the first 2.5 dB of it is analogue and does not clip.

See the following datasheet, page 57, Note 45. here, 3.75Vpp is 2.5dbm higher than 2.5Vpp, if you do the calculation.

http://d.zaix.ru/5cHC.pdf

And thus, this feature was not possible in previous version of ADI-2 Pro/DAC.

Thanks for this clear and complete explanation!!