Topic: External Synth

Hello,
I don't understand how to properly connect the motif keyboard to UCX. In fact from input 1-2 is generated noise and connecting the keyboard to inputs 5-6 the volume is very low, input 3-4 are somewhere in between. I tried to modify totalmix (gain inst -10dBv -4dBU) but without success.
Maybe it's a problem of impedence, any suggestions?

Re: External Synth

some advice?

Hello!

Which specific Motif model is it?

I checked the manual for the XF. In the manual's specs sheet, the type of the Line Outs is not stated(Balanced or Unbalanced).

I assume they are balanced. So, you will need balanced cables to either 1-2(+4dBu or LowGain) or 3-4 Input(Instrument set to "Off", +4dBu or Low Gain) or 5-8 Inputs(+4dBu or LowGain).
If the Motif's Outputs are unbalanced(check your manual), use unbalanced cables to inputs 1-2 or 5-8, but with -10dBV gain setting.
Also, don't be afraid to raise the volume on the Motif.

Or you could, also, try connecting the Motif's Optical Output to the UCX's SPDIF Input using a co-axial(RCA type) cable. With this type of connection you should set the Word Clock -> SPDIF In, in the UCX Settings. The only caveat with this setup is that you will be stuck to 44.1KHz, as it's the only clock that the Motif supports.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thank you very much!
The model is Motif ES8 and has unbalanced outputs with 0,6 kOhms.
There are differences when setting (in Total Mix settings) ucx hardware inputs 5/6 mono or stereo?
On input 1/2 there is no -10dBv but a gain knob that goes from 0 to 65, what value could i put?

You should use inputs 3/4.  'gain inst -10dBV -4dB+' do make a big change in input level for these two inputs. Unless you changed the wrong setting, the one for channels 5 to 8.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I thought that the unbalanced connections at 3/4 Inputs, were more suited for guitars and basses.
Clearly, I was wrong!

So, @pao10
Use 3/4 Inputs, set the Motif's Volume Knob around 3'o clock, and experiment with the gain settings(-10dbV, +4dBu) to see what suits you, as MC suggested!

At the same time, check TotalMix for Levels. If you want to record, -12dB at the Level Meter is a good point. If you want to just play, then you can go higher(-3dB).

There are no differences, if you set the Inputs in Mono or Stereo. Just make sure that if you 're in stereo, the stereo image is set to 100, or if you're in mono, that Input 3 is set to L100 and Input 4 to R100.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Thanks a lot now i've got a nice result!