Topic: Help needed with MADIface XT setup

Hello

I am not used to working with audio equipment. I am having trouble setting up a simple MADI system for playback purposes.

The system consists of an RME MADIface XT, two Ferrofish A32 AD/DA converters and amplifiers.

I use the optical out (MADI 1) and connect the MADIface and A32s in daisy chain. The clock is provided with an additional Coax as per recommendation. I use use the internal clock of the MADIface m(44.1 kHz) and set the A32s to slave (BNC 44.1 kHz).

My problem is that there doesn't seem to be a signal coming from the optical ports. TotalMix indicates that the signal is being sent to outputs 1-64, but no audio is received by the DA converters.

Could I be missing something fundamental? Am I wrong in assuming a plug & play function?

Any suggestions or advice much appreciated.

Regards,

Re: Help needed with MADIface XT setup

> Am I wrong in assuming a plug & play function?

It needs a little bit of configuration on both sides.
Did you already read the manual about MADI Basics ?
Or here at the RME home page ?
DE https://archiv.rme-audio.de/products/madi-center.php
EN https://archiv.rme-audio.de/en/products/madi-center.php

You need to set both units to use the same MADI format and frame size:
- MADI format: 64 or 56 channels, usually being set to 64ch, as we do not need the pitch function of MADI
- MADI frame size: 48K for single or dual speed or natively 96K frame size for double speed

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks

Note: I decided to change my setup from daisychaining the two converters to a side-by-side MADI connection, using both MADI ports of the MADIface XT.

I have read through the MADI basics. I have all units set to 64 channels and 96kHz. Still no luck.
Any other suggestions?

You need to set up the converter correctly, it has a big I/O selection and routing setup between ADAT, MADI and Dante.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Yes. I believe I set up each of the two converters to be routing from their respective MADI 1-32 inputs to the 32 analog outputs.
TotalMix level meters indicate that my signal is being sent through the MADI ports but no signal coming from the A32 analog outputs.
Also, if I set the A32 headphone output to monitor any of the MADI inputs, I get no signal.

Thanks for your suggestions. I would really appreciate it if you can think of anything else.

The converters will mute if clock settings are incorrect.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

How would you choose your clock settings?
The concept of word clock and how it relates to the sample frequency is confusing to me.

As it stands, I have MADIface set to "internal" and the converters set to "slave - BNC". The units are connected with a 75ohm Coax in series. If I change the clock frequency in "MADIface serial settings", the frequency automatically changed on the converters. So far none of the clock rates have worked out for me.

Turns out that the optical cables that I bought along with the converters don't work. Switching over to MADI 3 (coax) did the trick. Thanks for the help.