1 (edited by nateandrews 2020-04-24 21:45:20)

Topic: total mix - clicking on hardware outputs vs control room

I'm somewhat new to my fireface400 and total mix, running a VERY simple setup.

SPDIF IN and OUT active and just ANALOG 1/2 out active, that is it.  All else is hidden, its the most basic total mix possible.

QUESTION.  When CONTROL ROOM "tab" is active in totalmix with mouse click the SOFTWARE PLAYBACK for my SPDIF and Analog 1/2 says AN 1/2 at the bottom as does the HARDWARE INPUT for SPDIF.

If i mouse click on the HARDWARE OUTPUT SPDIF, then the bottom of spdif in in hardware input and the software playbacks then say SPDIF at the bottom instead of AN1/2

Why does it do that and what does it mean?

Re: total mix - clicking on hardware outputs vs control room

You are in submix mode.
To see the routing for a submix you click to a HW output and then watch the fader position of all
- HW inputs (top row, what comes from the inputs) and
- SW playback channels (middle row, what comes from OS and applications)

To underpin the fact that you see a submix for i.e. AN1/2 OUT this name is displayed on the bottom of each fader or HW inputs and SW playback channels.

See manual.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

AH!!  Ok cool.  I set it to FREE instead of SUBMIX and that seems to make more sense to me.  Now all of the "tabs" are the grey color and they no longer change names when I click on them.  This sounds like a super advanced concept this SUBMIX vs. FREE.  Why would someone choose one over the other? 

I will leave it on FREE for now.  Thank you!  that was really confusing me when it said SPDIF at the bottom of all my channels..

Submix is very easy to use, I use it all the time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I guess I dont get why I would need to use it when my setup is so very, very simple.  I have my KEMPER connected to IN/OUT of SPPDIF and my DYNAUDIO monitors in ANALOG OUT 1/2, that is it.

Curiously, is there any way to date or age my FF400 so I have an idea how old it is or what revision it is?

I found in the manual a good description about the difference
https://www.rme-audio.de/download/fface_ufxplus_e.pdf
P. 65, ch 25.5.1

You can of course choose what you want and what you are used to.

Submix. The Submix view (default) is the preferred view and delivers the quickest overview, operation and understanding of TotalMix. The click on one of the Hardware Output channels selects the respective submix, all other outputs are darkened. At the same time all routing fields are set to this channel. With Submix view, it is very easy to generate a submix for
any output: select the output channel, adjust the fader and pans of first and second row – finished.

Free. The Free view is for advanced users. It is used to edit several submixes simultaneously, without the need to change between them. Here one works with the routings fields of the input and playback channels only, which then show different routing destinations.

Thanks for the help, ramses

You're welcome Nate wink

9 (edited by nateandrews 2020-04-29 18:03:25)

Ramses - I have another question on Totalmix.  I am in FREE mode routing, same simple setup as before. 

I am listening back to some music via the Foobar app and naturally I have meter activity on the AN 1/2 SOFTWARE PLAYBACK.

I also have meter activity (identical to software playback of analog 1/2) but on my SPDIF HARDWARE OUTPUT?

Why would this be?

https://ibb.co/C64jXZX

Most likely because you are routing the signal from SW Playback AN 1/2 ----to---> HW Output SPDIF OUT

Where would i check that?  I certtainly would not have done on purpose or intend that at all.  The only SPDIF playback would be the KEMPER output.

software playback of AN 1/2 is definitely set to AN 1/2 and not SPDIF. 

If I MUTE the SPDIF hardware output in total mix it stops the meter movement and I of course still hear my AN 1/2 software playback from Foobar.

I just dont understand why the SPIDF HARDWARE out meter is moving when i have nothing at all playing through it.  the only thing connect is my Kemper which is currently powred off.

13 (edited by nateandrews 2020-04-29 18:40:53)

ah ha! wtf. i clicked on CLEAR SUBMIX SPDIF on the SPDFI and now the meter stopped moving!!  WEIRD!!!!  but GREAT!  order has been restored to my universe.

no idea how the heck that happened but now everythign makes sense.  PHEW!!

lol
in submix mode there is a nice button
You select the HW output and then it shows you only those channels in top and middle row, that route to your output.

sorry, one last thing.  so i am clear.  top row hardware inputs.  if i click the bottom of any of those, that is where i choose the HARDWARE OUTPUT of where it is to go, yes?  so for my HARDWARE INPUT SPDIF (where my Kemper is) I need to makes sure OUTPUT in AN 1/2 in order to hear it from my Dynaudio speakers... RME newbie, sorry or the noobie questions

It depends on your mode of operation, whether you use submix mode oder free mode.