1 (edited by nateandrews 2020-04-25 22:25:29)

Topic: SPDIF input on FF400 and general SPDIF question

Question about the SPDIF on my FF400 (and pretty much, in general).

I use a non-powered Kemper profiler rack and use the coaxial style spdif digital IN/OUT to my FF400 SPDIF IN/OUT. 

My Dynaudio's are connected to the ANALOG 1/2 out of FF400 and I use the front silver knob for volume control  It is the most basic setup possible and I'm getting comfortable with it after selling my Audient.

I have noticed that a LOT of interfaces do not have SPDIF in/out, you have to buy one with a boatload of I/O or more of the higher end.  The Arturia Audiovfuse REV2 has it, Clarett 4PRE has it, Scarlett 8i6 has it, etc...  The Kemper is VERY powerful when using the SPDIF so it is by far the best way to connect.

The actual question I have is, does using the SPDIF of the RME completely bypass any sort of preamp or color or any of that?  If one were using only SPDIF for their in and out, is it safe to say that any interface that supports SPDIF would pretty much translate the sound EXACTLY the same?  The RME FF400 is just working to act as the amazingly solid super low latency and bullet proof driver and total mix, but the sound of the kemper spdif coming in is digital and would IN THEORY sound *exactly* the same on some crappy BEHRINGER or SCARLETT?

P.S. I installed the DIGICHECK  - that thing in incredible!!!

Re: SPDIF input on FF400 and general SPDIF question

Hello!

With your setup, you can have the best possible result! By using SPDIF, the A/D conversion is performed by the Kemper and the FF400 passes it to your pc. This way, you can have the cleanest chain.

Also, to answer your question, there is no amplification or coloration added. Where RME shines, regarding clocking(apart from the top quality of everything like drivers, preamps, AD/DA conversion, build quality, circuitry design approach etc) is their SteadyClock technology!

Here's a quote from the "Features" section of RME's website:

The Fireface 400 is equipped with SteadyClock(TM), RME's unique sync and clock technology. With this, the device becomes a sync reference for the whole studio. SteadyClock refreshes clock signals, removes jitter, and takes care of optimal AD/DA conversion quality, thus guarantees a sensational sound quality, completely independent from the reference clock's quality

So, to answer your other question, it wouldn't sound the same through a Behringer or Scarlett! The result would have been less detailed, less dynamic and the stereo image a bit less wide. A bit less of everything, so to say!

PS: I love DigiCheck! It is an awesome tool!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632