Topic: Unable to use Windows sonic for headphones

The latest Windows 10 version allows for a 7.1 simulation on headphones but I can't seem to get this configured with my RME HDSPe AIO. I have latest 4.30 drivers, have chosen multi-channel. Varios RME speakers options appear in available sound sources, most are stereo but one of them is 7.1. When I choose this one, Windows Sonic for headphones cannot be activated and sometimes throws an error saying a such. I can activate the Windows Sonic for the stereo RME sound sources but then without any 7.1 capability, it makes no difference to sound. I have sample rate at 16 bit CD quality.

So from what I understand, I need to be able to activate the Windows Sonic for Headphones on the 7.1 RME sound source, so any idea how I do that?  Thanks.

These are my settings:

https://i.ibb.co/vmt2DQX/7-1.jpg

Re: Unable to use Windows sonic for headphones

I have no experience with that stuff (I hate surround emulations for phones), but I see that your settings are not very logical and will irritate Windows, so try to bring them into a normal (expected) state:

- never have more than one WDM device set to be the Speaker (mentioned in the manual updates)

- 5 Multichannel devices make no sense. Reduce this to just one (preferably AN 1/2), then try again.

Maybe that helps.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME