Topic: HDSP 9632 diy breakout cable - hot plugging headphones disables audio

Hi,

i've built a dedicated audio computer case and mounted two phone jacks (6.3 and 3.5mm) to the front panel. I soldered them to phone pins 13/14 and pin 9 as ground (i read this is for headphones). The plugs ground pins have electrical connection via the metal case since they are not isolated and made out of metal.

It's basically working but there seems to be an issue when i hot plug headphones. The card (in this case a HDSP 9632) stops audio and i have to restart the computer (windows 10 pro) to get audio playback back. So it's only possible to safely plug and unplug headphones when the computer is switched off.

Any idea why this happens?

Thanks in advance

2 (edited by mios 2020-04-27 12:21:55)

Re: HDSP 9632 diy breakout cable - hot plugging headphones disables audio

It must have something to do with shorting the pins when plugging in or out, right?

Edit:

I've just measured another computer which has a AIO card and a standard analog breakout cable. All the ground pins seem to be connected to each other and the computer housing, so no separate headphones ground (pin 9).

Re: HDSP 9632 diy breakout cable - hot plugging headphones disables audio

1. Yes, although I never have heard of this before.

2. The separate ground pin was introduced later, it is separate only within the breakoput cable. That improved the noise situation in some cases.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME