Topic: Digiface ADAT port damage?

New Digiface user here. Just got my ADAT cables in the mail. Plugging in for the first time.

You know when you plug in an ADAT cable and it clicks into place? You need to apply a little bit of force and then it clicks in and stays somewhat locked in. The first and second cable went just fine, but the third one wouldn't go in as easily.

Applied a bit more force than the other two. Something "clicked" inside the interface but the cable didn't stick. I took out the cable and I see that it's not perfectly manufactured. There's a tiny bit of optical cable coming out of the connector. Just a millimetre more than flush at the end.

I take another cable instead, that looks normal, but now after I insert it, it won't click into place. It fits, but its a bit lose. I'm afraid that I've now damaged some hinge inside that holds the cable firmly in place.

Is this an easy fix or would I need to send it to be repaired?

Re: Digiface ADAT port damage?

Hello,

is this the old original Digiface or the Digiface USB?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hello Daniel. This is the Digiface USB.

Does the issue with the cable not fitting into place only affect one specific Toslink port? Is there any visible difference? Does the little "door" operate normally when you carefully (!) push it in with a screwdriver or a pen or so?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Just a personal comment: the market seems to be flooded with cheap, but expensive looking TOSLINK cables that are manufactured with unbelievable tolerances. The TOSLINK plug is specified to have 6.65 mm from the two elevations that are needed to lock to the point of optical light exit. One of my cables has 7.2 mm, jams against the internal light receiver chip and won't lock at all.

Yes, with crap like this on the market it is possible to damage TOSLINK ports...

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

RME Support wrote:

Does the issue with the cable not fitting into place only affect one specific Toslink port? Is there any visible difference? Does the little "door" operate normally when you carefully (!) push it in with a screwdriver or a pen or so?

Tested it today with my new converters. Works fine. Only issue is the cable on this port that I mentioned doesn't stay in as well as the others... The door is fine. It felt like something inside at the end of the port that I might have damaged. But since the data still works I guess it's ok. Thanks for your help.