Topic: UFX on Win10: no mic input into Discord

I cannot for the life of me work out how to get my mic working on Discord

I choose the correct input device but it just will not see signal in it.
I've tried the Legacy and Standard audio engine modes in Discord. I've also updated the USB drivers and Firmware for the UFX to the latest, but no luck.

I have an old Babyface lying around and when I use that with Discord it works fine, microphone input and all but the UFX no input at all. Works fine in other apps like Reaper.

Any ideas why this may be?

Re: UFX on Win10: no mic input into Discord

Which "correct input device" did you choose and where?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by harveyosullivan 2020-04-30 17:40:47)

The first Microphone input on the UFX, which is input 9

Edit: fwiw I've also tried Skype and it refuses to see the RME UFX either. Just says "no devices found" in the audio setup

You need to create WDM devices in the driver settings, because Windows and most other applications do not support ASIO.
Search manual for "WDM".

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

You need to enable the WDM devices in the UFX Settings dialog, in this case at least 5 to see channels 9/10 in the Sound control panel.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's been set to the max, 15, since I've installed it. So I'm not sure that's the issue.

Follow up: I actually tried my Babyface connected to my laptop before and it worked but when I plugged into my main computer in place of the UFX it had the same issue where Discord and Skype just will not see the input.

Very strange, I can't work it out.

SOLVED.

So this is really dumb but in Windows if you search for "Microphone Privacy Settings" there is an option to not allow apps to access microphones. Once I turned it on everything worked.
I didnt even think of it because I use microphones all the time in DAWs like Reaper and they have always worked fine but apparently DAWs are not subject to this setting.

You use ASIO in your DAW. Windows only blocks WDM with that setting.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You use ASIO in your DAW. Windows only blocks WDM with that setting.

Yeah I figured as much. I recently upgraded from Win7 to 10 so was not even aware that Microphone Privacy was a setting.

The setting was not even introduced with Windows 10 in the beginning, but only with a later version. So you are not the first one to be confused. wink