Topic: [Solved] Babyface Pro occasional audio crackle/pop/tear Windows10 1909

Babyface Pro (Driver 1.168)
Windows 10 Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.693)

CPU
Intel Core i7 8650U

RAM
16GB DDR3

Storage
SSD (Windows write-cache buffer flushing disabled)

The issue:

It appears to me that - suddenly - after the most recent Cumulative Windows Updates (dating back to Feb 12, 2020 and Feb 29, 2020)... I started experiencing unreliable audio streams that produce audible crackle, pop and tearing sounds. This is true for any audio activity I choose to engage in - whether playing an mp3/flac/wav, producing in a DAW, or streaming music from Spotify/online radio services.

This was never the case until roughly two weeks ago after all the Windows Updates came through. Now this is occurring and I'm completely out of ideas on what I can do to fix this.

Are RME developers aware of this issue or am I the only one experiencing something like this? Can we expect a future RME driver to fix Windows related audio stutters/crackles/pop/tears?

As a DJ and music producer, I am absolutely losing my mind over this. My career is literally on pause now due to these recent issues.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

P. S. My workstation is running bare minimum set of background processes and applications. The workstation is highly optimized for audio production... and like I said before - I have never experienced these issues for many years until very recently.

Re: [Solved] Babyface Pro occasional audio crackle/pop/tear Windows10 1909

If your workstation is that optimized then you can easily start Latency Mon from Resplendence and verify the good perfomance.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

If your workstation is that optimized then you can easily start Latency Mon from Resplendence and verify the good perfomance.

I should clarify: It WAS well optimized... until the Windows Updates came through.

Now it's an absolute disaster. They changed something that isn't playing well with one of my drivers.

Check this out. It's laughable. I have no idea what changed or why this is happening all of a sudden. I was well below 2ms execution time for all processes and drivers, and right after the Cumulative Updates, I'm maxing out at 30ms+

https://i.imgur.com/IEDZUKn.png

You can rollback those updates. Might have been just a single driver for some device. My 1909 does not show this.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Update:

After countless latency traces and lots of investigation - I was finally able to pinpoint that it was a recent Malwarebytes Premium update that introduced the latency spikes (coinciding around the time that I thought Windows Updates were the culprit).

For anyone who's interested, here's my thread documenting my investigation:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/thread … -it.30759/

For the time being the software had to be uninstalled. Latency is now almost non-existent as it was prior to the recent updates.

Thanks for the explanation.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME