Topic: New PC can't detect my Fireface 800.

I've had my RME Fireface 800 for more than a decade. Never had any major issues. It worked as it should on two different DAW systems over the years. However, I've just build a new system and it doesn't see the Fireface at all.

On recommendation I got the Startech firewire card seen here: https://www.startech.com/eu/Cards-Adapt … ~PEX1394B3

This card has the Texas Instruments XIO2213B chipset that I also saw was recommended.

I had LOADS of issues even getting my PC to see the Startech card and concluded several times that it was faulty until I finally got my PC to recognize it when I plugged it into a PCI-E x8 port instead of a PCI-E x1 port on my motherboard (Gigabyte z390 Designare).

But the card still didn't work so I had to install 1394 legacy drivers and then finally it seemingly worked - at least according to the device manager in windows (I run Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, again on recommendation).

All was far from well though, as the firewire card will not see the RME Fireface 800. The "host" LED on FF800 is constantly red and despite running the FF800 driver package nothing shows on the computer whatsoever.

Do any experts here have any recommendations as to what to try? I don't trust the firewire card, but before potentially taking it back I want to know if there are anything yet to be tried.

Re: New PC can't detect my Fireface 800.

Hello!

I 'm not an expert at firewire and I don't own an FF800, but some general troubleshooting, I can offer!
Maybe it's a pci-e power setting inside Bios? Can you check the firewire card's specs and set it accordingly?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Hey there

That sounds challenging.
I am also using FF800 and considering building a new PC built on a z390 designare.

Successful installation of firewire card is key.

Did you work out a solution?

Cheers

This card works good: https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13