Topic: HDSPe SPDIF input sample rates, when clocked by word clock...?

Hi all.

I'm just wondering how the Multiface system is meant to work in the following sense:

I have 3 Multiface units, linked via word clock BNC.

If I then take in an spdif connection, which isn't used as a / the clock source, does the hardware essentially re-sample automatically?

In this case, I have a Virus TI running at 44.1KHz connected into the 2nd Multiface in my chain, with the DAW host running at 44.1KHz. So, there might well be some drift in that scenario.

However, even if I clock the Virus at 48Khz (which the Multiface control panel recognises OK), I still seem to be running OK without audible artefacts. That's with the master clock on the Multifaces running at 44.1KHz.

I have the 3 Multifaces set up as an aggregate device on MacOS. Resampling is *not* checked. If I check the resampling box, then I do start to get pops and crackles.

So - on the surface at least, it seems that the system may be doing some resampling. Does that sound correct?

Thanks!

Re: HDSPe SPDIF input sample rates, when clocked by word clock...?

The Multiface does not resample, sorry.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Re: HDSPe SPDIF input sample rates, when clocked by word clock...?

Thanks.

I've done a few more experiments. Different sample rates do cause artefacts. I was wrong about that.

...but it's very difficult to hear any artefacts if the incoming digital audio rate matches the master clock. I guess that they're there, but just difficult to actually hear.