Topic: Mono on a single speaker?

I have a Babyface Pro. I want to connect a pair of speakers and be able to:

- listen to them in stereo (of course, no problem here).
- listen to them in mono (no problem, just pressing mono button achieves this)
- listen to just one of the two speakers (left or right, I don't care) in mono. This is the feature I need!

When checking mixes in mono and balancing levels, it's much better to listen to a single speaker to avoid comb filtering and other phase issues. Any way to achieve this?

I tried splitting a stereo playback channel into two mono channels: if I lower the volume of one of the two channels (without engaging the mono button), I can succeed in listening to just one speakers (as expected). The problem is that this solution means just listening to the "left" or "right" speaker, with all the stereo information of the channel.

If I press the mono button, the volume of the "silenced" speakers unexpectedly come back. So at the moment I haven't found a solution to listen in mono to only one of the two speakers.

Someone can help, please? I think this is a very essential feature for properly checking mixes in mono. I don't want to believe that a flexible tool like TotalmixFX can't provide a solution to this smile

Thanks!

2 (edited by ramses 2020-05-10 16:36:01)

Re: Mono on a single speaker?

I would have though that its possible to save a TM FX snapshot with the output panned hard to the left and one hard to the right, but this indeed does not work, also not with an UFX+.

And if I rememebr right with the new TM FX its not possible to have mono channels in the TM FX control room.
As soon as if you remove the outputs from the control room, then you can set them to mono and mute them as needed.

But I wonder that its not possible to store the pan of Main Out in a TM FX snapshot.

You would need something like "Mute Left" and "Mute Right" and consequently a possibility to map this to the ARC USB to be able to use this easily with the remote control.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by isamph84 2020-05-11 03:37:29)

Yes, in control room I cannot transform the Stereo output into two mono channels, I just tried.

It's possible to transform from Stereo to Mono's the channels in the software playback. But then there is the weird thing: if I lower the volume of one of the two mono channel (for example the right mono channel), the volume goes away on the right speaker. But as soon as I click the mono button, the mono signal comes out of both speakers again.

What you mean by removing the outputs from the control room? If I remove them, I would not be able to listen anymore, isn't it?

Anyway,  "mute left" and "mute right" (or even better "solo left" , "solo right") buttons in control room would be amazing and solve this problem. Using this feature + Mono button, I would achieve what I want (mono in just one speaker). Any chance that this will be implemented? This is one of those killer features that differentiate good monitor controllers from average ones!

> What you mean by removing the outputs from the control room?

With the "assign" button you can assign Hardware Outputs to the control room so that you can work with the control room features like Mute, Dim, Mono, ...

You can unassign them, then the output channels are out of the control room.
And there you can change the channels from stereo to mono.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13