Topic: Fireface UC & ADI-4 DD ADAT/AES

Recently purchased ADI-4 DD to add 4x AES i/o to my Fireface UC, I have had D-Sub to XLR panel made up with correct pin out. In TotalMix I receive audio signal across all 4 ADAT inputs when connecting signal to any one of the four AES inputs of the ADI-4. I have tested this with a digital mixer and also by physically looping back and have the same issue, simultaneous audio across all 4 AES pairs regardless of which input I use.

I have explored all settings, and connections reinstalled UC drivers and Totalmix. Same issue at 48 or 96K.

Have I misunderstood the capabilities of the ADI-4?
I understand the UC ADAT input is auto sensing, I suspected maybe it senses an SPDIF signal instead of ADAT, is this possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Mac OS 10.14.6, Fireface UC fw v126 Driver v3.19

Re: Fireface UC & ADI-4 DD ADAT/AES

That's a feature, not an issue, and described in the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias!

Is there a setting I am not seeing to have 4 AES discreet I/O simultaneously?

I have checked the ADI-4 manual which states on the front page.

“ The format conversion between AES/EBU and ADAT operates in both directions at the same
time. ”

I have also checked the FF UC manual and I cannot see a reference to this feature.

dk7865 wrote:

Thanks Matthias!

Is there a setting I am not seeing to have 4 AES discreet I/O simultaneously?

I have checked the ADI-4 manual which states on the front page.

“ The format conversion between AES/EBU and ADAT operates in both directions at the same
time. ”

I have also checked the FF UC manual and I cannot see a reference to this feature.

That feature is (obviously) described in the ADI-4 DD manual. Page 9, Notes on special functions. As soon as you plug more than one AES input stereo channels will be separate.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks Matthias, excellent service from RME, you guys Rock! über cool

I too was confused by this, when testing my 2nd hand unit. I did rtfm but an impatient person is a bad reader smile
This post solved my issue and now i learned that i have a spare AES splitter/distributor on hand smile

Huub