Topic: RME Hammerfall DSP PCI Digiface Host Error RED

Hi,

so I just bought a used PCI Hammerfall DSP Digiface Interface but can't seem to get it working.

I've used 4.04 drivers, then 4.30. I've reinstalled drivers, Windows (10, 64bit) and everything between multiple times, also tried Linux. Windows and Linux both detect the PCI card. Windows installs the drivers just fine. Both Windows and Linux don't seem to get a connection to the Digiface unit. Windows says "not connected" and Linux errors with an Input/Output error when using hdsploader (alsa-firmware etc. is installed, Firmware was found but couldn't be uploaded). I ordered a new cable on Amazon (Lindy 30861) but it doesn't work either. Tried with or without the external power supply, nothing. LED stays solid RED.

I've read about some boot problems and tried running the Setup without the BOOT Jumper, but it didn't change much. From what I understood this would only be needed when using a not-so-good power supply which could prevent the card from initializing and then wouldn't be found by the system. Since my system finds the PCI card my problem doesn't seem related to this.

I wanted to buy the Digiface USB at first, new, not used but I have this old PC with a Gigabyte UD-2 p55m board, which still has PCI slots (tried both), around and wanted to ressurrect it as a multi track recording machine... wish I didn't.

The seller told me the card was working right before he gave it to me. It was very well packed and we met in person and I drove it carefully(tm) home. I am now looking for ways to track things down and maybe get it working at the end. I gave myself 11 days until the next pay check to either find and fix the problem or dump it in the bin and get a digiface usb.

So, first actual question: What does a solid RED light actually mean? I've read there are different LED modes, like blinking on and off, hinting possible errors.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Cheers

Re: RME Hammerfall DSP PCI Digiface Host Error RED

Solid red light means no connection to the PCI card. If there is a connection the firmware is loaded onto the Digiface, and the LED starts blinking. If the firmware is valid and fully loaded the LED turns off. Blinking is therefore usually not happening at all.

How can you be sure that your Digiface isn't broken? A typical reason for missing communication is broken transmitters/receivers on the FireWire ports of either unit (sometimes because someone plugged them into a real FireWire port). These can be exchanged / repaired.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your answer.

MC wrote:

How can you be sure that your Digiface isn't broken? A typical reason for missing communication is broken transmitters/receivers on the FireWire ports of either unit (sometimes because someone plugged them into a real FireWire port). These can be exchanged / repaired.

I actually am not sure. What parts would that be in case someone *cough* tried hooking it up to a real firewire port? I MAY have done that in the process of trying to get it work...

Any competent technician can repair that, and will know which parts. There is even a thread somewhere where someone explains how he did it (forgot where, sorry). Real FireWire immediately kills those ports with high voltage.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Think I got something: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-h1JVh26Jc

Now I'll try to find a competent technician who will help me fix this.

Thank you again.