1 (edited by gangs_08 2016-12-31 17:00:29)

Topic: Help: Slate VMS with Babyface? "Preamp-Problem"

I got an old Babyface and bought a Slate Virtual Microphone System (VMS). The VMS includes a Preamp. How do i setup them?

I have to connect the VMS preamp through the LineIn cable to the Babyface.

How can I bypass the Babyface preamp or minimalize it (otherwise the records are clipping hot) and how should i setup Totalmix?
Gain at 0db? Phantom Power On/Off? ...

Appreciate your help!

The VMS Manual says:

Connect the output of the VMS ONE to a LINE LEVEL INPUT of your interface using a TRS or XLR cable.
!!! IMPORTANT !!!
If your interface has built in mic preamps or instrument inputs, be sure to read it’s manual to ensure you are using the interface input as a line level input and NOT as a mic preamp or instrument level input!
If the output of the VMS ONE is plugged into your interface’s mic preamp or instrument level input instead of a line level input, your signal will be going through two preamp stages which will distort and color the sound in an undesirable way.
If your interface has combo XLR / TRS jacks, there may be a switch or software menu for selecting input types.

Re: Help: Slate VMS with Babyface? "Preamp-Problem"

In case of the Babyface it's not about distortion and color, but only about level. Set the BF to 0 dB Gain. Max input level then is +10 dBu, which is line level and should work with the VMS One.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

In case of the Babyface it's not about distortion and color, but only about level. Set the BF to 0 dB Gain. Max input level then is +10 dBu, which is line level and should work with the VMS One.

Thank you! So nothing to change in Fireface USB  settings or in Totalmix (beside to put the Gain to 0 dB)?

Correct.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Correct.

Thx again. Tried it but the records are clipping eventhough i am not recording loud. Maybe my vms is broken.

Max output level of vms is +27db. So overloading makes sense. Not sure what to do except lowering the gain on the VMS.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Max output level of vms is +27db. So overloading makes sense. Not sure what to do except lowering the gain on the VMS.

Think i need a new real interface. Damn..
I am recording vocals with around -12db. Still clipping. Thx anyways

No reason not to ho lower for now! Passive attentuation is an option. not sure how but I am sure someone will help here!

Vincent, Amsterdam

vinark wrote:

No reason not to ho lower for now! Passive attentuation is an option. not sure how but I am sure someone will help here!

Hey vinark, i will buy a -20db passive attenuator.
Should i buy one with phantom power pass through or one without this ability?
Is 200-600 Ohm okay?

thank you

gangs_08 wrote:
vinark wrote:

Hey vinark, i will buy a -20db passive attenuator.
Should i buy one with phantom power pass through or one without this ability?
Is 200-600 Ohm okay?

thank you

I don't know about the Ohms... but you don't need phantom power pass through unless you ever want to need it to pad a conderser microphone.

I hope this is the solution but I am not sure. Engaging the pad and and using the gain on the VMS to make sure in totalmix that you stay just below 0dbfs should work also.

Did you try sending a sine wave through the full chain? And was it clean at -1db?

Vincent, Amsterdam

11 (edited by JohnnyNoiss 2020-05-23 08:29:08)

I am using the same setup: old Babyface and a Slate VMS. As I am getting a strange hum when using the Mic/Line Analog Input (could be a ground loop issue) I switched to the alternative analog input 2 / instrument input on the side of the Babyface using a TRS cable. The manual says: "The analog input 2 can be switched in TotalMix between line (low impedance, balanced, at the breakout cable) and instrument (high impedance, unbalanced, TRS jack at the unit). See Settings menu of input channel 2."

In the settings menu in the channel overview I have the option to turn on 48V which makes no sense of course as I get the voltage from the preamp. Then there is an "Inst" Button which forces me to use a minimum gain of 9db, but I read in many articles that I have to set the gain to 0 to use it as a line input. But when I leave the gain at 0 I will not get any signal input even when I crank the gain on the preamp on +60.

How can I correctly use this input as a line input? Does it mean that the analog input 2 can only be used at the breakout cable?

Additional info: when changing to "Inst" I will get a signal input. Used the preamp on around 12 o'clock and got a -12dbfs peak level. I am worried to utilize the input as a second preamp which will introduce potential distortion and color as said in the manual of the Slate VMS:

"Connect the output of the VMS ONE to a LINE LEVEL INPUT of your interface using a TRS or XLR cable.
!!! IMPORTANT !!!
If your interface has built in mic preamps or instrument inputs, be sure to read it’s manual to ensure you are using the interface input as a line level input and NOT as a mic preamp or instrument level input!
If the output of the VMS ONE is plugged into your interface’s mic preamp or instrument level input instead of a line level input, your signal will be going through two preamp stages which will distort and color the sound in an undesirable way.
If your interface has combo XLR / TRS jacks, there may be a switch or software menu for selecting input types."