Topic: FireFace UFX Hardware Diagnosis

Hi,

I came home tonight and my RME Fireface UFX seemed to be causing lots of loud and crazy interference sounds to be coming through my monitors/speakers (primarily on the left channels).  The meters on the Firface all show constant clipping and the TotalMix shows signals on channels AN 1, AN 3, AN 5, AN 7, Mic 9, Mic 10, Mic 11, and Mic 12. 

I made sure that I have the most recent drivers installed and performed the most recent flash update. 

I ran the Hardware Diagnosis test after I read about it on some of the other posts and my results were 0/0000/0000/18/0/105. 

Does my Fireface need to be serviced?  If so, please advise who to contact.  I'm located in Pittsburgh, PA, United States of America.  I'd like this back up and running as soon as possible. 

Thanks!

Mike

Re: FireFace UFX Hardware Diagnosis

That is a strange error that I can't explain easily. Did you disconnect all the inputs to verify it's the UFX? Service in the US is done by Synthax US, just give them a call (see website, www.synthax.com/) or mail Jeff here in the forum.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks for the fast reply.  I'd imagine it needs to be serviced.  I disconnected all of the mics and preamps plugged into my UFX and the weird sounds and screeches continued.  I actually uploaded a short video of what it's doing to Youtube and attached the link below.  If you don't mind checking out the video and letting me know if there's anything I'm missing that would be incredibly reassuring before I pull it out of my rack and contact Synthax for service. 

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETKn-iHklaA

Thanks!

Mike

mikesmales wrote:

Thanks for the fast reply.  I'd imagine it needs to be serviced.  I disconnected all of the mics and preamps plugged into my UFX and the weird sounds and screeches continued.  I actually uploaded a short video of what it's doing to Youtube and attached the link below.  If you don't mind checking out the video and letting me know if there's anything I'm missing that would be incredibly reassuring before I pull it out of my rack and contact Synthax for service. 

Here's the link to the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETKn-iHklaA

Thanks!

Mike

Poor guy.  I watched your video and felt really sad for you.  I would be so upset if this were happening with me, I really hope you can get it fixed properly and not costing you too much.

Best of luck.

Well, it was the power supply.  I mailed it out to be fixed and got it back in just four days.     Total cost was $210.    Not so bad in the end.

Hello RME,

It looks I'm experiencing similar issue. Since March this year very loud crackles started to appear sporadically. I've been connecting the issue with the equipment I've connected. But since yesterday they appear regardless disconnecting everything from UFX. All input channels are light on red crackling very loudly and after power cycle it takes around a minute and it's happening again. I suppose it might be a power supply issue (hopefully).

I'm living in Warsaw / Poland - can you possibly provide a contact to the support here? Thank you!

Rafal

AUDIOSTACJA S.C.
ul. Glowna 20A
03-113
Warszawa
POLAND
+48 022 616 1386
info@audiostacja.pl
www.audiostacja.pl

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

8 (edited by pschelbert 2020-09-13 12:41:39)

Hi

Looks as I have the same problem as descibed in this thread. If yes it needs hardware repair.

Question:
Who can repair in Germany?
Who can repair in Switzerland?

Problem:
No Hardware Output on analog ports (AN1....AN12)
Sporadically appearing crackling noise on HARDWARE INPUTS which is then permanently crackling while nothing connected to inputs!
1)    Totalmix is showing signal on AN1...AN12. but no signal on HARDWARE OUTPUTS (TRS, XLR, Phones jack)
See: Pic1

2)    HARDWARE OUTPUTS show signal in Digicheck although no pysical signal on analog HARDWARE OUTPUTS.
See Pic2

3)    Signal on HARDWARE INPUTS with NO SIGNAL connected to inputs! Constant crackling sound which can be heard at outputs, phones output as well.
            This crackling sound appears after a while. Switching on 48V on Mic
            See Pic3

4)    If Hardware Output „AES“ is selected it works correct: correct signal on AES, Hardware Output Digital is okay.
See Pic4

5)    Sometimes after a while, switching for and back Mix1..8, or switching on/off Mic48V it works again, i.e. signal on physical HARDWARE OUTPUTS AN1..AN12

6)    After shutting down PC and after that the UFX, while it was working after restarting first UFX then computer there is often the same problem as described in 1)

7)    Switching off UFX and again on, the crackling stays. USB disconnected, also nothing connected to HARDWARE INPUTS

8)    How is it possible that Totalmix and Digicheck show signal on HARDWARE OUTPUTS, but there is no physical signal on the XLR, TRS phonejacks.

9)    What might be the problem? Analog part hardware defect? FW? Driver? Totalmix? USB connection? Some configuration in Totalmix?

Peter

9 (edited by lizzard 2020-09-14 09:20:01)

50 years in electronic servicing says the power supply / decoupling/smoothing caps are going bad .

electrolytic caps are like batteries in that they have a shelf life .

The proof is that when it first starts put it in a warmer room and it will get better /as the caps warm up they are slightly restored .

It would help to list the main culprits to help those with older units with costs ...anyone?

Hi

the error message is:

you need to provide administrator permissions to copy to this folder

May be I can give the permission, however just installing the driver including Totalmix worked witout any flaw.

the reason is I ma trying to update: my UFX has some strange problem. I reported in the other thread.
-No sound output
-sometimes sporadically noise on input while niothing is connected

Sometimes the UFX works normal sometimes it just does not.
If it ones works, shutting down the computer and UFX and starting again, mostly it will not work.
Often Totalmix asks if want to use Totalmix settings or UFX settings.

Before it never asked.

Some OP suggested its a power supply problem.

Before I send it for repair I would like to be sure its a hardware issue.

The is a built in Diagnosis in UFX. How to start it?

Peter

Your UFX problems have nothing to do with TM FX. Nor does the new version of TM FX fix any of what you describe. If the unit needs service then contact MusicNetwork for more info:

MusicNetwork AG
Lerzenstrasse 8 CH-8953
Dietikon
SWITZERLAND
0041-444542030
support@musicnetwork.ch
www.musicnetwork.ch

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi everybody!
I'm experiencing the same problem with my UFX (bought in 2012).
I switch it on and after 5/10 minutes it starts to produce an awful noise from the left speaker, going progressively to stereo in some seconds. All the analog input channels are receiving a "fake" signal, as displayed in the TotalMix FX app and in the hardware input leds.
The noise disappears after 30 seconds, then I can use the UFX without any problem.

I'm going to change the power suply, many thanks to the OP for sorting out the problem :-)

Peter

13 (edited by pschelbert 2020-09-19 19:04:39)

Hi

okay its clear now, a hardware problem.
Will see for service.

Peter

Hi

the UFX works again after repairing the power-supply. It was a capacitor problem (defect electrolytic capacitors).

Peter

15 (edited by fantasmatik 2020-12-16 23:05:30)

Hi everyone!

I've come across the same issue reported in this thread, and it's been going on for some months now.
So far I've been able to keep working because all I need to do is wait for about 5 minutes after powering my UFX and the noises go away. Only once, and recently, the noises manifested themselves during a session.

I am afraid this might be a sign of aggravation of the problem, but I am in Brazil, and as far as I am concerned, there is no support here. Am I correct?
I don't have a backup unit that wouldn't be a serious downgrade, so I can't really be apart with it for too long.

My test results are reading as of now (no current issues, but the startup was noisy as usual): 0 0000 0000 18 0 27

Are these numbers sign of any known problems?

I have soldered on PCB successfully before, and wouldn't mind performing the repair, assuming it could be done.

Could someone help me with this issue, please?

Thanks a lot!

My best regards,

Henrique

EDIT: after posting I turned the unit off and on againg and the numbers changed to 0 0000 0000 18 0 31 (18 started on 36 and came down). Is this normal behaviour?

DSP errors only affect Echo and Reverb. Power supply issues affect everything.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

DSP errors only affect Echo and Reverb. Power supply issues affect everything.

Hi Matthias

Thank you for your response!
But I'm not sure I understand what you mean.
In my case, the bursts of noise happen despite having the FX turned off, and they go through muted channels, turned down volumes, etc. So I assume it is a faulty PSU?

I am correct regarding no support in Brazil?
Is there a way that I can, maybe with the guidance of RME techs, assess with some degree of certainty if the problem on my unit is really just the PSU, buy one and have it shipped to me so I can replace it?

If not, where should I send my unit?

Furthermore, is there somewhere I can learn about the Hardware Test Results, their meaning, normal operation values, etc?

Thank you again,
Henrique

Hello! Thank you, mikesmales, for posting about this two years ago! Since just a couple of weeks I'm having this exact problem with my 10 year old UFX. Glad you found a solution! I'm trying to find out how to do the hardware diagnosis thing on mine. Do I need a separate app of any kind for that?

mikesmales wrote:

Well, it was the power supply.  I mailed it out to be fixed and got it back in just four days.     Total cost was $210.    Not so bad in the end.

Glad your up and running again nothing worse than a suprise problem,

I guess the turn around was very quick too

Nice