Topic: Fireface 800 - Catalina Support and TotalMix Pre-Amp Control?

I'm considering picking up a Fireface 800 used to replace my old Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, but I have two concerns that I want to make sure about first:

1) Will the Fireface 800 work properly on Mac OS Catalina? I'm running it on a new iMac. In the research I've done it seems like there are beta drivers out for Catalina, so I just wanted to see if people have had good experiences with that so far.

2) Can I control the pre-amps from the TotalMix app on my phone or iPad? I know the app allows you to control a whole host of features and routing, but I'm having a hard time pinning down whether or not it can control the pre-amp levels, specifically on a Fireface 800.

Any input is welcome and greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to joining the RME family!

Re: Fireface 800 - Catalina Support and TotalMix Pre-Amp Control?

1) Yes, fully supported
2) No, sorry, these preamps have analog controls only.

Regards
D. Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Thanks for the speedy reply! Do newer units like the UC or UCX have pre-amp control through Totalmix?

It's not about newer. If the unit has digitally controlled preamps (see device feature list) than there is software control.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Okay, so it seems like the units that have that and also have enough I/O for my needs are the UFX, UC, and UCX.

Here's another question: What if I went with the Fireface 800, but supplemented it with something like the Babyface or Babyface Pro to use simply as a set of pre-amps and sent those inputs directly to the 800 via ADAT? Can TotalMix FX control two units simultaneously, so I could (for example) adjust the gain on the Babyface and adjust output levels on the line outs of the Fireface 800 quickly and easily?

In different windows - yes.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by ramses 2020-05-29 16:19:57)

Hi,

one example from one of my blog articles for you to get a feeling / preview how this would look like:

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … Pro-FS-BE/

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2364-05-TotalMixFX-jpg/

On the left you see the TM FX windows of the HDSPe MADI FX and on the right I used a RME UFX+ as "Harddisk-Recorder"
by making use of the UFX+'s DURec and the HDSPe MADI FX's redundancy feature.

As you can see TM FX is very flexible to collape channels to keep it compact. Then two TM FX windows can fit nicely this way on a Full HD screen.

Other example: combination of RayDAT and UFX as preamp in front of it via TOSLINK.

Its BTW very comfortably to work with such a setup, as the TM FX workspace settings remember/restore
both TM windows at the same desktop location as you stored it wink And the snapshots store the routing etc...

Alternatively you can also use "Workspace Quick Select" which saves snapshots and workplaces together...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the detailed reply ramses! I plan on using the TotalMix app on my iPhone or iPad rather than a computer, but that helps me have a better idea of what it all looks like.

9 (edited by ramses 2020-05-29 16:47:08)

You're welcome, enjoy !
BTW .. not to forget additional possibilities by using TotalMix Remote over network .. wink

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

I guess I should have clarified, it's really TotalMix Remote that I'm primarily concerned with, so I can adjust input gain from my live room via an iPad or iPhone. I'm a foley artist who mostly works by myself, so not having to walk back into the control room to adjust gain in between takes will save me a ton of trial and error time!

Interesting, thanks for sharing this information with the forum.

TM FX for iPad and TM FX Remote only work on iPad.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME