Re: The official Babyface Pro Thread

Yes. Keep the the mic channel pan control in the center position and it will send equal amounts to both output channels.

ronmac,

I really appreciate your answer, but unfortunately this feature doesn't seem to be available in "Stand alone" mode. When the BF is connected to the PC and controlled via TotalMix FX, I can of course PAN the mic signal to both channels, but as soon as I disconnect the BF from the PC and run it on external power, I only have audio on one channel.

Best regards

Peter

Sorry, no. You might use a simple split cable, xlr female to two times XLR male, to get the mic's signal on both inputs,.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC,

Thank you for the answer. It make sense - and also the solution I thought.

Will it be possible to add this routing feature in a future FW update?

Best regards
Peter

What’s the best way to get  the full 24/192 sample rate our via S/PDIF.? It seems as the Toslink only supports 24/92. I’m trying to drive an outboard DAC that supports these rates and the Toslink standard does not support this.

All our units support 192 kHz SPDIF optical, and the information about a 'TOSLINK standard that ends at 92 kHz' is outdated for many years. If your DAC doesn't support 192 kHz then we can't fix that.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

707 (edited by DominicPerry 2020-05-06 13:19:38)

I am a very happy owner of an ADI-2 Pro fs, but because of the latency between input and output, I have just acquired a Babyface Pro fs as well.
Connecting the two together has revealed that the BF 'only' supports consumer level S/PDIF output - which I believe means it is limited to 16 bits.
My question is, under what conditions am I likely to notice the difference between 16 and 24 bit S/PDIF, if any?

Thanks

Dominic

No, SPDIF is not limited to 16 bits...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi guys,

I just bought the Babyface pro fs and I’m super happy! It sounds amazing.
I have a question regarding the encoder wheel.
When I received the unit the wheel was pushable, like you can click on something. A little bit raised from the socket. Yesterday while turning it just went inside the socket and you cant click on it no more. It also turns a little bit harder then before. Everything works well otherwise. Can someone please confirm.

Thanks,
Ben

710 (edited by christianh 2020-05-08 18:59:44)

Is there any danger removing and attaching the usb cable while the computer and the Babyface is on? I had to do trouble shooting and changing from CC to PC. Nothing worked the leds were on but the unit wouldn't get picked up by Windows.

I thought the unit was at fault but it turned out I didn't attached the USB cable correctly and by that I haven't pushed it in enough into the usb socket.

No problem, full hotplug support as all USB devices have.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

712 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-05-12 03:41:19)

Can't wait to get the new Babyface Pro FS I just purchased.

Could you guys please share some information about which model of ADC/DAC/op-amps chips were used this time?. I know the ADC is different, and the op-amps are new as well (from ADI-2) compared to BFP.

ben.b.goss wrote:

Hi guys,

When I received the unit the wheel was pushable, like you can click on something. A little bit raised from the socket. Yesterday while turning it just went inside the socket and you cant click on it no more. It also turns a little bit harder then before. Everything works well otherwise. Can someone please confirm.

Thanks,
Ben

Hey guys, anyone has an answer to this?
I’m not sure if I should contact rme for warranty or not.
Thank you,
Ben

714 (edited by DominicPerry 2020-05-12 00:22:31)

ben.b.goss wrote:
ben.b.goss wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks,
Ben

Hey guys, anyone has an answer to this?
I’m not sure if I should contact rme for warranty or not.
Thank you,
Ben

No, it's not clickable. I'm assuming it was slightly lifted up and you've just pressed it down.
You won't find any commands in the manual for clicking the wheel.
I doubt it's a warranty issue.

MC wrote:

No problem, full hotplug support as all USB devices have.

Thank you!

Regarding USB-cable. I need to get a longer usb-cable. At least 2m. Do you sell such parts? And I also need a DC power adapter.

716 (edited by Yorrrrrr 2020-05-15 03:34:44)

Would a regular Apple USB-C to USB adapter work just fine for connecting the Babyface Pro FS to my MacBook Pro 16-inch (with Thunderbolt 3 ports)?  I wish there was a native (or included) RME cable for USB-C/Thunderbolt devices, which are kinda common today.

USB-C to USB-A female or USB-B is not an 'adapter', but a simple cable. Available everywhere at low price and even included in the latest BF Pro shipments.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I have one 'trouble' with the interface: in totalmix fx i have noticed that the mic input 1 and 2 and  ins input 3-4: the numerical level display (peak level) shows -105 and moves to -102 to -105 sometimes to -100 with nothing plugged….the ins input 3-4 moves less often but moves too… the optical input is at ufl: nothing moves…

I have tested all the ins and i dont hear any troubles: all seem fine and perfect!
is it a trouble or not?
thx to answer me!

Setr TM FX to show RMS levels, and set Mic Gain to 0. That should give the number from the manual.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I've set in view option level meter: rms and in preference i uncheked rms+3db and set gain to 0.

now the mic in 1 and 2 plugged with nothing shows: -115 and sometimes it shows -116 for a fraction of a second and return at
-115 but it much more stable..its very a little fraction of a second.

ins 3-4 is at -117 stable with nothing plugged

I had a trouble with asio buffer size and reaper/windows 10...noting worked: cric crac in all buffer size...i've read that its not a rme driver trouble… I have tried all sort of things and i've finded one solution that work for me:

in the asio fireface usb setting window: in options, the wdm devices was set to 6... i changed to 2 and it resolved all the problems: i can change the buffer size with perfect result! Its maybe an evidence, i dont know, but if it can help..it can help!!

mikelachance65 wrote:

I've set in view option level meter: rms and in preference i uncheked rms+3db

Check it again to get comparable values.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi,
Does Babyface Pro FS, has added dynamics at each input via TotalMix FX?
Regards,

Juan José Salazar
Sonic Animal Music
RME Babyface, Win 10, Mac Catalina, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Ableton

No.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Just got the Pro FS, 2nd interface, coming from a Scarlet 2i2.  I'm very new to this technology.  The Scarlet was plug and play, no drivers, instantly recognized by my Macbook Pro 2015 running Catalina.  I, for the life of me, cannot get my Macbook to recognize the FS Pro.  I've installed the driver, 3.19, allowed permission, made sure it's not in ClassCompliant mode, reinstalled, etc.  Nothing is working.  TotalMix and Fireface USB Settings apps are installed but not opening properly.  Fireface USB Settings upon opening, immediately closes.  TotalMix opens but does not allow any of its windows to open.  I'm about ready to pull my hair out.  Is anybody able to help?  I would be so grateful!  Thank you.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=30462

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi everyone

I’m new here and received my first RME product today. Unfortunately I have an issue and was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to help.

Today I received my Babyface Pro FS but it won’t run on bus power alone. Can anyone tell me why?

I’ve tested it using a power cable and it works fine like that. I’m not using a hub either. It’s plugged straight into the computer with nothing else plugged it.

I have an iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015)
Processor: 3.1 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
Memory: 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

As far as I can see:
Can be a problem with the mac usb port(s). Did you try different port or different computer?
Can be the usb cable, try another.
Can be the babyface, I hope not

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I tried each port on the Mac. They all seem fine. They all transfer data and all power up my old interface.

Not sure if it’s the cable. I’m getting data transfer to and from the BFP when using the cable and an external power source.

I will try using it the unit on another computer, and a different cable.

Thanks for the advice, I’ll report back.

vinark wrote:

As far as I can see:
Can be a problem with the mac usb port(s). Did you try different port or different computer?
Can be the usb cable, try another.
Can be the babyface, I hope not

So I’ve figured out the problem is with the USB cable that ships with the unit. While it does transfer data, it will not transfer power.  When I use a cheap cable, it works perfectly. Bit disappointed as this is my first RME product and the branded cable is so much nicer than using a cheap replacement. I’m hoping it can easily be replaced. 

Thanks for the tips. Be safe.

I'm thinking of my Babyface Pro FS to output a single-ended signal. Is there a difference in the performance of using the line out functionality of the 1/4" vs 3.5mm output?

Also, should the volume be set to 0 if using an external amplifier?

1. No. 6 dB lower level (big TRS), the rest is identical.

2. It should be set to a level that suits the external amplifier.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you much.

I have new question!!

I see that the bayface pro have 4 x Analog Inputs (Mic, Line, Instrument)
How can i change the between the tree? example: hi-z switch on/off, mic in/line in switch

Sorry… i dont understand

I am new on the forum. Maybe the answer to my question already exist:
Why is the sound totally different if my Baby face PRO is connected to my PC or in the case to my laptop computer.
Thank you for the explanation. BR Alex

Does the Babyface Pro FS have a suggested limit or recommendation for headphone impedance when using the 1/4" headphone output?

Thanks

Hi all,

do you have recommendations for connecting an unbalanced source to the BFP's XLR inputs?

I found this termination recommended by RANE:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?attachments/unbal_out_to_bal_in-jpg.68007/

Is the BFP fine feeding pin 1 with the cable shield and not bridging to pin 3 which receives the common ground of the transmitter?

Best wishes,
Ellef

If I output ADAT to the ADI-2 Pro FS or SPDIF to an ADI-2 DAC FS from the Babyface Pro FS, how much latency will be introduced? Will it impact real-time guitar playing in S-Gear, for example?

739 (edited by ramses 2020-06-11 20:24:59)

No, the impact of RTL over USB is much higher depending on ASIO buffer size and sample rate.
Most impact: driver efficiency and ASIO buffersize
Less impact: sample rate
Less impact: AD/DA converter latency

And if you send digital data from the BBF Pro via ADAT/SPDIF to ADI-2 DAC, then the data is already digital and the latency involved here is minimum compared to the list above.

To get an impression about this, look in my UFX+ review, there I put many examples:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Look that you stay under 10ms RTL and all is fine.
With UFX+ I could even use an ASIO buffersize of 256 (that was a bit over 10ms RTL) but still didn't slow down playing through a virtual amp on Cubase (Kuassa). So 128 @ 44.1 should be fine for you and don't worry about ADAT and the final D/A conversion by the ADI-2 DAC.

But maybe the Pro would be more ideal for you as it has digital in AND out's .. then you could connect digitally to your Amp Simulator (or what it is). Only the Pro has digital in's and out's as well as analog in's and out's.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks! I'll be trying them each out this way.

Hello, I’m using a 2017 Babyface Pro with a 2011 macbook pro (OSX Lion) that works perfectly, but I need to switch to a new macbook pro. I read there have been many issues with usb-c connections and RME usb interfaces with previous OS. Should I be worried about any potential issue with the combo 2017 Babyface Pro USB / 2020 macbook pro OS Catalina ? Would I have to do a RME firmware update from my current macbook ? And if no issue, is a simple usb-c to usb-b cable fine to make it work ?
Thanks

742 (edited by FD10 2020-06-26 02:05:16)

Hello RME Team,

I want to buy a high quality power supply for my RME Babyface Pro FS.

What is the better solution?

A 12V/2A power supply or a 15V/1.5A power supply?

My concern is whether a higher voltage than 12V in this case 15V will give me better sound quality even if it's only a few percent.

I hope you can help me, I would be very happy about a quick feedback.

Thank you very much in advance

A higher voltage will give you 0 (zero) percent higher sound quality. There is no correlation between power supply voltage and analog signal quality.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

744 (edited by FD10 2020-06-26 09:25:09)

Okay thx for the very fast reply, praiseworthy customer support.

But will support the Babyface Pro FS 15V or is it better to go with 12V like the original power supply.

Thx and greetz

15 V is the upper limit. Therefore 12 V is more safe.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

746 (edited by yamanfts 2020-06-29 00:02:58)

Hello,

I have a Babyface Pro and I''ve been using it for about 1.5 year. 2 weeks ago I started hearing loud crackling noises from studio monitors and earphones. And the actual sound was heavily warped like a broken vinyl. Then I unplugged and plugged the BFP and restarted my computer. It was fixed.

But now, same thing happened again. But this time, restarting didn't fix the problem. After restarting my computer... No sound, silence. I can't hear anything through monitors/headphones. What should I do?

Edit: It randomly got fixed again. But now I hear a pop sound when I switch songs if I don't pause in between.

747 (edited by ranra 2020-07-04 15:14:31)

I am facing crashing of my DAW when rotating the encoder for Phones 3/4 volume until it/leds peaks to read. Instant shutdown of application.

New Babyface Pro FS with latest firmware and drivers with Windows 1909.

Edit: issue no longer appears

Hi) I am happy owner of Babyface Pro, and I wonder, would it work in CC mode with Volumio player on Odroid C1? Volumio recognized Babyface, but then there's no sound and Odroid freezes. I know that ADI-2 is working with volumio (RPi), but how about babyface? Thanks

749 (edited by dejazz 2020-07-02 05:03:15)

Dear all,

Due to the pandemic and loss of income, I was thinking to downgrade my UFX II to a babyface pro or FS since I don't use much I/O. I am just wondering if the main 2 channels playback will be having huge difference? I don' have a bf pro fs to A/B so I can't tell and hope there is someone in this thread that can provide some info. My gears since FF800 - UC - UCX - UFX - UFX II - (BF pro FS) if the sound quality doesn't make that much difference....

Thanks

There are no differences in "sound quality" by design....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME