1 (edited by kampnerj 2020-06-08 17:36:51)

Topic: SOLVED: ARC usb disconnects when idle

Just got a new ARC usb controller and love it.  Only issue is that it loses connection with totalmix after a long idle period (like overnight).
I am on Windows 10.  I have several other usb controllers and devices on this machine and they do not lose conections.

When the controller is in this disconnected state, the talkback and speaker B buttons are lit normally, and the dim button is blinking.

Seems the only way to reconnect is to unplug and replug.  Is this normal?  I don't really want to do this everyday, and I'm worried that the physical connection will break eventually.

Thanks for the help.

Re: SOLVED: ARC usb disconnects when idle

Some things to try:

- open Device Manager and check the ARC USB so you know how it shows up there (Sound, Video and Game Controllers, RME ARC). Then later in the blinking state check again that it is still there.

- if it is still there but not found by TM FX, exit TM FX completely and restart it from Windows\system32 (totalmixfx.exe).

- if it is not there go to the Device Manager's menu and try 'Search for changed hardware'.

On a normal computer the ARC is completely switched off in standby, then wakes up and is found by TM FM FX so the DIM button is either off or on, but not blinking. In fact this blinking is not part of our programming, it might indicate that TM FX tries to access it but fails.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

OK, here is the results:

ARC usb shows up in device manager identically regardless of whether it is in normal state, or blinking state.

Exited TM and restarted TM while the device was in the blinking state.  The item stays in the blinking state.

Going to device manager and clicking "Scan for changed hardware" does not seem to have any affect.

The computer is never going into standby or sleep or hibernate.  I do have the monitor turn off after 2 hours of inactivity.  Is it possible that there is another setting in the "Power Options" that is causing this?

Hello!

You could try :

Device Manager -> Usb Controllers -> the Hub where the ARC is connected to -> Right click on it -> Properties -> Power Management -> Uncheck the "Allow Windows to turn off this device" option.

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

Yes, that worked.

Thanks.

Aah, Great!

You're welcome,
Glad, I could be of help!

My ARC USB was working fine with my old Windows 10 system but I just built a new Win 10 system with an ASUS PRIME Z790 P motherboard and now the ARC disconnects any time I leave the system inactive for a period (not sure of how long the inactivity must be for disconnect, perhaps an hour).  As suggested above I have disabled the "Allow Windows to turn off this device" option in the USB Controller hub and I have also confirmed that the "Selective suspend" option under Windows Power plan is disabled. I've tried moving the ARC to all of the various USB ports but no change. When the ARC is disconnected the DIM button blinks.  If I unplug and re-plug the USB cable it comes back to life and works just fine but I really want to find a solution to this problem.  Any other suggestion on how to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

8 (edited by themarqueeyears 2023-11-22 10:20:58)

I had the same issue with my ARC disconnecting in Windows 11 (I never had this issue in Windows 10)

Following the suggested fix.

Device Manager -> Usb Controllers -> the Hub where the ARC is connected to -> Right click on it -> Properties -> Power Management -> Uncheck the "Allow Windows to turn off this device" option.

Solved my issue.

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Aah, Great!

You're welcome,
Glad, I could be of help!

I want to say thank you also.

Your suggestion fixed my ARC issue too.

Thank you.

You 're welcome!! smile