Topic: HDSP 9652: no output on optical ADAT out 1 and 2?

Hello everyone,

I’m a new RME user since I bought a HDSP 9652-card (Rev 1.6) just last week.
Unfortunately I’m having trouble getting it to run properly with my machine (Win 10 Pro 64bit, Intel Core i5 9600k, 32GB RAM, ASUS B360Plus-motherboard):

I installed the latest drivers from the RME-website (version 4.30), then secured the HDSP 9652 in a free PCI-slot, hooked up the expansion board, routed two Toslink-cables (5m) to a Behringer ADA8200 and restarted the computer. Everything seems to work, TotalMix and the settings dialog run fine and I can select the RME ASIO-driver in my DAW (Ableton Live 10), so I assume the driver is installed correctly and the card is recognized properly. Also the Windows Device Manager tells me that "This device is working properly." The HDSP 9652 syncs via ADAT to the ADA8200, which is set as master at 44.1 khz. I can record audio coming from the ADA8200 just fine.

However, playback does not seem to work correctly. I only get audio from the ADA8200’s analog-outs when I send the signal over the optical ADAT3 out on the 9652-expansion board. The optical ADAT outputs 1 and 2 situated on the 9652-card itself don’t seem to function. Yes, I have routed the input/playback-channels to the desired outputs in the TotalMix-matrix and the output is also shown on the respective channel-meters. And in the settings dialog ADAT1 is not configured as SPDIF Out.

In terms of troubleshooting I have already tried a couple of things, like reinstalling the driver, using different (and also shorter) Toslink-cables, using a different PCI-Slot on my motherboard, reflashing the firmware of the card (it has been and is on 108), I even tried a second ADA8200 to rule that out as a possible problem. And of course I searched this fine user-forum for hours on end. Unfortunately to no avail.

So while crawling under my desk for the nth time to reconnect the Toslink cables for yet another try, I discovered that there is indeed a visible difference between the three optical outputs: while the red LED in ADAT out 3 shines nice and bright, the optical signal coming from ADAT outputs 1 and 2 seems rather dim in comparison.

To rule out yet another variable, I installed the 9652 in another, older windows machine, however the (low) brightness of optical ADAT outs 1 and 2 has not changed and as expected there is still no audio-output coming from the ADA8200.

So right now I’m at a loss here. Maybe I have missed something crucial during installation/setup? Or is my HDSP 9652 indeed faulty? I’m grateful for any clues.

TL;DR: no output signal seems to arrive at my ADA8200, maybe due to the LEDs in optical ADAT out 1 and 2 on the HDSP 9652 being rather dim?

Re: HDSP 9652: no output on optical ADAT out 1 and 2?

Best not stare directly at the emitter smile

Could you try a physical loopack test with an ADAT cable? Set the card to Internal clock, connect one lighpipe cable from ADAT 1 out to ADAT 1 in. Do you get a "Sync" report in the HDSP Settings app? When you play audio out, do you see any metering on the corresponding input chanels?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

Thank you for the fast reply!
I tried the loopback test, clock source is set to internal, but unfortunately no luck (and no lock/sync) on the ADAT I/O-pairs 1 and 2. On I/O 3 it works as it should, I get a sync on ADAT3 In in SyncCheck and the meters in TotalMix behave as expected when playing back audio, i.e. the respective input channels receive a signal.

Toggle the AEB option in the Settings dialog. Else it seems clear that this card is defective. ADAT In 2 should have worked no matter what setting is active.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for your reply.
I just tried another loopback test on ADAT I/O 1 and 2, clock source internal and toggled the AEB option - unfortunately without success, still no sync on ADAT In 1 and 2.
So I guess the card is indeed defective. sad

Should I abandon this project altogether and get another card or would it be possible and worthwhile to send it to Haimhausen to get it repaired?
Does RME still service these rather old cards?

We do.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by vinark 2020-06-03 09:20:55)

Last chance...dust in the connector?
Optical out set to spdif?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

Last chance...dust in the connector?

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

No, unfortunately also no dust in the connector. I carefully cleaned it with compressed air, but still no sync.

MC wrote:

We do.

That's good to hear. So I guess I'll get in touch with RME-support to have the card serviced.

Again, thanks to all of you for your suggestions and for helping to properly diagnose the problem. smile