Topic: HDSPe working fine on High Sierra but problems with Mojave.

The HDSPe has been working rock solid at 64 samples a buffer in Logic Pro 10.4.8 on High Sierra. I installed a Mojave system to slowly cross grade but the HDSPe (Multiface 1) will only work clearly at 256 samples per buffer which is not suitable for tracking virtual instruments. It has cracks and pops at 128 and 64 samples.
I'm on the latest firmware and drivers and also moved the card into a different slot (16* PCIe) but to no avail.
Are there any work arounds for this or will High Sierra be the end of the road for the HDSPe Multiface 1 series ??

Re: HDSPe working fine on High Sierra but problems with Mojave.

Try Catalina, might work better. But be noted that there is nothing to improve on our side. These differences are OS audio performance differences, well known through all the forums.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hey ramsmachine, I'm trying to come up with a hardware/OS combination that will allow me to utilize my Multiface II and its companion HDSPe card in a Mac.  Any help from you would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance, if you have time to answer.

Hi Tim,
  I'm going to stick with running High Sierra as the HDSPe Multiface combo runs rock solid at low latency. Mojave and Catalina both work but Logic has to be set at 256samples per buffer, and I prefer working at 64samples. Not sure if you're on Logic, but the new logic 10.5 only works on Mojave and Catalina, so with a secondary Catalina OS at least I can open those files if necessary for clients etc.
Note : I am running a 2009 Mac Pro which I zapped to 5,1 and patched to install Catalina. I did have to put a metal graphics card in to do this. You may have better results in Catalina if your Mac Pro is newer ??
I'm going to run this system as long as I can, even if I can get 2 more years out of it. Once its fully obsolete I'll probably switch to a newer Mac mini but will definitely stay with RME for interface options, I've had this Multiface for about 18 years, I only had to swap the PCI card, to PCIe when the Mac intel move happened. Extremely happy with RME for their reliance and support. I also use their Octamic too.
Good luck with it.

5 (edited by Tim Piegh 2020-06-07 04:51:54)

Thanks very much ramsmachine, for your reply.  I plan to use the Multiface II/HDSPe combination to run Harrison Mixbus 32C, but it's nice to know that its solid when running Logic.

If you were to buy a new Mac Mini, what RME interface hardware would you use with it?

Thanks again for replying.

For what it's worth, I just pulled my 2011 RayDAT out of my old Windows 7 machine running SONAR. I installed it into a Sonnet Tech xMac Mini Server chassis with a new 2020 Mac Mini. I installed the new drivers, and so-far-so-good. I literally only completed this three days ago. The only thing I'ver really tested was recording a live test of 12 channels of live drums. It all seems to be working well.

tfbattag:  Thanks for that.  I may end up going that route.