Topic: HDSPe MADI FX issue at 96k - audio feeding back?

Hi Guys. The last few days i've had an odd issue where audio assigned to MADI ouputs in Cubase causes total mix software outputs to feedback on itself. This has not happened before, bought the card brand new a month ago from a dealer here in Australia.

I've reset the mixer to default, un-installed the drivers and the card and re installed it again to find the issue persists.  After an hour of trouble shooting I discovered it only happens at 96k. Changing my session to 48k and the issue goes away.

I'm asking for ideas as to what I can try to get it working properly at 96k again like it has been for the last few weeks since I bought the card.

Oddly since the re install I've lost PHONES and AES output options in the ASIO driver in Cubase, i can only select MADI outs now

Best,
Rexx.

Win 7-64/Cubase 7.5 64bit/Intel i7 on Asus P7/UCX over USB

Re: HDSPe MADI FX issue at 96k - audio feeding back?

Reset the I/O list in Cubase.

Settings dialog: is the Mirror or Redundancy option active? Does this happen with nothing connected?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi MC.

Got my PH and AES back (i ticked 32 ch limit in the driver as part of my troubleshooting, so that is now unticked).

Clock source internal
Redundancy mode is OFF as is Mirror MADI option
MADI outs are physically unplugged from the back of the card.

I just did another test.
48k works great. Switch to 96k and hit play, anything assigned to MADI out it immediately starts feeding back on itself in totalmix, switch to PH or AES the feedback stops, using a test session just 3 files loaded. The feedback ios only happening in total mix, not Cubase Pro 10.

Anything else that i could try? Any system reason why 96k would be an issue? (this was working great a few days ago).

I just did the same test in Reaper, exact same result: 48k works, 96k feeds back.

Please provide driver version, TM FX version and firmware version, then I can try to reproduce.

What is unclear: is this real feedback? Can you route the phantom input signal somewhere and listen to it? Or is it just the level meters showing nonsense?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

It's like when a digital delay feedback is set at max rate, audio just accumulates.
The meters peak red and it sounds crazy, Audio crazy, not digital clock or glitch crazy, example 3 phone video below

The first two are without sound as i cannot capture the sound on the screen capture easily
The last one is a quick phone video so the quality will be bad!

1. Cubase: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3ppsgd28zmxq … e.mp4?dl=0
2. Reaper: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ntfoaik9urc01 … r.mp4?dl=0
3. Quick Phone video with audio example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0sfch7h2ooawh … d.mp4?dl=0

Windows 10 Pro
Latest 214 driver Driver : Date 06/27/2019 Version 2.14  TM MIX V 1.61
Device info: HDSPe MADI FX - SW Version 26
Active nodes 200 of 2048
Diagnostic 18,0

Hoping we can solve this! Seems like a one click fix, it's like MADI is reflecting back the signal.

3. That is not feedback. Not at all. And there is nothing on the input level meters. This is a repeated single audio buffer (playback does not move), which happens when either the interrupt is missing or the driver communication is lost.

As this only happens at 96 kHz I suspect foul play from the PCIe bus. Could you put the card in a different slot?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC. Changing the slot did the trick!! 96k working properly now.
I had to use a bracket to push the GPU up a few mm to keep the fan from touching the RME.
Thanks for your fast and accurate response and solution, very happy!

Best,
Rexx.