Topic: Balancing bass guitar input with the rest of computer volume?

I have a question regarding TotalMix. I've been trying to figure out how to do this, but haven't had any luck. 

Sometimes, when it's late at night, I practice playing bass guitar with headphones instead of my bass amp. But in TotalMix, I can't seem to get the mix right. The bass volume is way too quiet, while the computer's volume is way too loud in contrast.

If I try to lower the volume of the computer (the music I'm playing along with, usually a transcribing software, or YT video) and raise the volume of my headphone, I can get them to balance better, but then if any other sound (such as computer system sound, web browser audio) comes on, it'll be extremely loud because I turned the volume way up to hear the bass better.

I already have the instrument input at optimal level just before clipping (when I slap my bass hard), so can't raise the gain any more. If I lower the software playback, it lowers the volume for everything, including my bass. 

When I used Focusrite Scarlett, I could use its Focusrite Control software to lower the volume of the software (DAW) playback, which is basically all of my computer's sound, including music being played, and then raise the volume of the analogue input for my bass, and achieve a perfect balance. I'd be surprised if TotalMix can't do the same, but I can't figure out how to do it the way I used to with Focusrite Control.

Do you have any advice on how I'm supposed to achieve a perfect balance of my bass guitar and the rest of my computer's audio? https://pxik3q.dm.files.1drv.com/y4ppsHJJCjlyTgq_GGaJKMA3xNH1V0snVmEmyxCQVPL-Uq2C9sAOZzKq-SJmSgG-Nf6Q-tDrsC9HrWE7Y3Mo_6l_Lz9OVAKakiYCWSPW9aO5fC4Auu3VQvViPy1Uk3nZ0NbQ-3JnIsWeoQcErTyFna2sOcJQeEYPabUf0GBsIKHCqtjSYOvQ6KEqNrZMPlCFCTx1yg3K0ONe7N297IsNwbwgK8VhaqCwPJ39J4GVB8OzCU/2020-06-02_212722.jpg?psid=1

Re: Balancing bass guitar input with the rest of computer volume?

What interface are you using. You have a separate volume control for your computer audio.  It’s channel 11&12 on my UFX. Then you have control for each.

basssalad wrote:

What interface are you using. You have a separate volume control for your computer audio.  It’s channel 11&12 on my UFX. Then you have control for each.

I'm using Babyface.

I just figured it out--it was a routing issue. Everything's fine now.

Tell more, what routing issue? I think I got the same problem but with my electric guitar, more precise amp loaded to line level and inserted into analog 3 smile

Suhr pt-15IR into Babyface pro fs

Kam wrote:

Tell more, what routing issue? I think I got the same problem but with my electric guitar, more precise amp loaded to line level and inserted into analog 3 smile

It was more of a setting issue than routing. I just had to make sure I balanced the input level for the instrument vs the software playback level.

7 (edited by Kam 2020-07-10 02:13:46)

Ok i figured it out.. to get nice headroom from line input (gain 0) Ive set up it as -10dBV. Now I got line volume nicely on the middle, amp levels also calmed down alot. But finaly clean is clean smile and in DAW it sits on -12db

Suhr pt-15IR into Babyface pro fs