Re: DigiCheck NG for macOS X - preview v0.85 available

Thanks for the info. While we can't reproduce this with your workspace we have an idea what's going wrong thanks to your screenshot.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

52 (edited by crimsonnoise 2020-06-05 08:36:26)

Wonderful update. CPU usage is only 25% of what it used to be.

In the Surround View I miss a display with only a single ITU meter (see pic of my old DigiCheck), without the R128 'transport controls' below.

Playing a stereo signal through the surround view now displays as two 'leaves', which confuses me slightly, as it gives the impression of having signal in the surrounds or centre as well? I slightly miss the 'spirit level' at the top which made it easier to tell if the stereo image tilts to one side.

https://i.ibb.co/QNDjFY0/Screenshot-2020-06-05-at-07-49-13.png

Once again I changed the opening post to version 0.85. These are the latest changes:

- Added Save Workspace to the File menu to allow more easy saving of a changed/edited workspace. Confirmation dialog included.

- Fixed the bug reported by rightbrain, where the phase meters did not follow the current input selection in some cases

- Starting DC NG by double-clicking a workspace file is now working correctly

- Prevent to run multiple instances of DC NG (not needed as it has multiple window capability)

- If a workspace is loaded while a settings dialog is open the content of the settings dialog is updated accordingly

Enjoy!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

crimsonnoise wrote:

In the Surround View I miss a display with only a single ITU meter (see pic of my old DigiCheck), without the R128 'transport controls' below.

Might come back - thanks for your feedback!

crimsonnoise wrote:

Playing a stereo signal through the surround view now displays as two 'leaves', which confuses me slightly, as it gives the impression of having signal in the surrounds or centre as well? I slightly miss the 'spirit level' at the top which made it easier to tell if the stereo image tilts to one side.

If you disable all input channels except L/R than the 'leaves' will turn into something more similar to the old display, but with an arc instead of a line. We might add an option for the former horizontal line.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

55 (edited by cowudders 2020-06-07 10:58:58)

This is just fantastic! DigiCheck has always been essential to me, RayDAT is still working perfectly here after all these years in my 2010 Mac Pro - RME fan for life here. thanks for all those great software updates in the last years!

I've been using the Totalyser all the time and the only thing I'm missing in 0.85 are the PEAK and RMS readouts - with them it was very easy to see what's going on at the very bottom of the dynamic scale. would be nice to have an option for that even when the option 'Show RMS Bars' is checked.

http://cowudders.mur.at/rme/totalysernumbers.jpg

And i'm really looking forward beeing able to use DC without any loopback - so great.

DigifaceUSB/BabyfacePRO/MacMini M2Pro 12-core 32GB/Ventura/Logic/Reaper

Hello everyone, Dear Matthias,
Thanks very much for this so much waited 64bits update.
My question :
Will it be possible one day to change the color of the spectral analyser, turn it into blue on dark blue background for instance ?
There is some empty space in the settings bottom...
The update would then be just perfect !!!
Best regards

Working great!

58 (edited by tzzsmk 2020-06-11 12:17:19)

nice updates, loving them!

one fresh observation which might need a little thought:
as I previously mentioned the operation with multiple RME interfaces,
I just tested today what happens when I start Mac without second RME interface - Digicheck (0.84, 0.85) launches fine, with a popup message "Not all configured Audio Devices are available! Open Audio Device Setup?" and when I click yes, I can see 2 audio devices in use, of which second is named but not available - this is definitely a welcome functionality for when having various setups indeed - yet I gotta test out the exact functionality with Workspace feature in Digicheck, to quickly switch between various layouts of various RME interface multi setups...
though, if I untick "in use" for unavailable interface, the workspace retains Instrument with Audio Setup

https://i.imgur.com/BI674oD.png

https://i.imgur.com/BUVHzt7.png

and another thing, as aforementioned by @jeff - I'd love to see the 6 color option combinations as in for ex. ADI-2 DAC - Green, Cyan, Amber and Light/Dark overall UI display in future wink

HDSPe AIO, ADI-2 DAC, Fireface UFX, Octamic D, Octamic II
Reaper, High Sierra

Thanks for updating DigiCheck.

If I may, I would love a 0,5 sec phosphorescence option in the spectral analyzer smile

ADI-2 DAC (with stock PSU) - Neumann KH 310 A monitors - Cheap USB and XLR cables

Hello there... thanks a lot for updating DigiCheck. I played with it for a little while, then it crashed... Now it asks me if i want to reopen windows again, when I start it and crashes immediately, no matter which option I chose. Is there anything I can do about it? Like completely reset all settings etc.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Are you sure you use the latest 0.85? If so then first save the files in the Application Support/DigiCheck folder, then delete them and start again. If it works send us the saved files.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Deleting the File in the /Application Support/RME Digicheck folder solved it. Thanks a lot.

Just wondering if the DIGIFACE USB will be supported with NG as currently it doesn't work at all?

Works perfectly. In case you try to see playback levels - check this and former threads about DigiCheck's capabilities.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

midioperator wrote:

Deleting the File in the /Application Support/RME Digicheck folder solved it. Thanks a lot.

I was experiencing this same crash. Deleting the lastState.Analyzer.xml and starting all over again solved it here, too.

Should I send you a copy of this file?

Yes, please.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When will DC get the audio recording function? It was one of the killer features of going RME. Instead of recording on the moment inspirations with DAW, I would use the DC recorder. I'd do loopback routing to get the final audio output on the input channels. Is there an ETA for this feature?

Please add automatic detection of interface reappearing. With current version of DigiCheck NG I need manually re-enable audio processing after every turning on of interface. I wish I enable audio processing once, and it automatically always works, when interface turned on.

Hi, after some hours of working the whole GUI becomes very slow (refresh rate on meters is 0.5sec instead of fluid) on my Mac mini 2018 in conjunction with FireFace UC.
Any hints what might be the cause?

In an R128 meter, setting EBU-scale (on RHS) to 'Full Scale' aligns it with the current K-System scale (on LHS). However, when you change the K-System setting, the EBU-Scale never visually changes. To make the EBU-scale realign with the K-System scale, you have to flip EBU-Scale from 'Full Scale' to something else and back again. Should the EBU-scale set to 'Full Scale' always align with the K-system scale?

Little Mountain Music
MacOS 14.3.1, MADIface XT, 4 x OctaMic XTC, M-32 DA

De Auditieve Dienst wrote:

Hi, after some hours of working the whole GUI becomes very slow (refresh rate on meters is 0.5sec instead of fluid) on my Mac mini 2018 in conjunction with FireFace UC.
Any hints what might be the cause?

Since a while, colour depth on a Mac is 10 bit. Setting it to 8 bit, if still possible, seems to aid for some.

There are a lot of complaints about graphical slowness on the Mac lately. It started with Retina screens and didn't get better.

The strange thing is it doesn't seem to affect every program and every user. And solutions seem to vary a lot.

That makes it a very hard thing to fix on RME's end. If they find a solution, it might introduce new problems for another group.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

73 (edited by rokatansky 2020-07-09 18:00:04)

Hi

Is there a link for the NG Windows version?

Regards

74 (edited by superbaka 2020-07-10 20:22:04)

.85 works well on my MacOS 10.15.4 & UCX.

But on my ADI-2 I can only select SPDIF as a Device Channel input inside DigiCheck. I am connected via USB. I can't get it to measure anything. What am I doing wrong?

It would be great to have an Oscilloscope built in as well.

Oscilloscope would be amazing for those of us who work with synthesizers and DSP.

Yes, an Oscilloscope would be absolutely amazing.

Hi there,
DC NG works fine over here.
I would like to have greater values on Reference levels/offset.
Maybe +-30db
I use DC with a Studer 961 Mixer as Meterbridge and since the original 961 Meterbridge has about 7dB Gain and my Converters work with 22dBu/odBfs the 20 dB Ref offset is not enough when I work at 6dBu displayed as 0.

Greetz
Chris

79 (edited by tzzsmk 2020-07-13 13:26:07)

bug spotted in Surround View w. R128,
bottom table UI clashes with scope
(screenshot at 100% scale/dimensions for reference - 1169x860 px)

DC-NG build 0.85 preview 2

https://i.imgur.com/ch6gsfz.png

Reaper, High Sierra

DigiCheck NG does not work when running at 192k (or 176K)

(Using ADI-2 Pro FS)

Is this a known issue?

That's not a known issue because it works.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

tzzsmk wrote:

bug spotted in Surround View w. R128,
bottom table UI clashes with scope
(screenshot at 100% scale/dimensions for reference - 1169x860 px)

DC-NG build 0.85 preview 2

https://i.imgur.com/ch6gsfz.png

Why do you call this a bug? Obviously there is not space enough for the fixed size control panel to fit into the lower right, so it centers instead. Give it more horizontal space and it will move to the right

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Why do you call this a bug? Obviously there is not space enough for the fixed size control panel to fit into the lower right, so it centers instead. Give it more horizontal space and it will move to the right

I call it a bug, because at such size, the table clearly overlaps the graphics,
and also the table does not scale to fit at all (unlike all other elements),
obviously not a dealbreaker, but it caught my eye so I shared my observation here wink

I tested various size/scale possibilities and usually the table jump below the loudness strips, or below scope+strips, that's correct behaviour

Reaper, High Sierra

I want you to realize the horizontal mode of the meter of digicheck NG in the next version.
Is it possible to set it with the current version 0.85?

85 (edited by tokintone 2020-07-21 17:21:23)

Hi all. Newbie question here, after just receiving a Babyface pro, after many years away from RME. Just DL'd DC v0.85, but I don't understand how to route audio into it,(ideally all my Mac system audio, iTunes etc) that is also running through my BFP. I have selected the BFP in audio settings, but nothing is reading.
Thanks

* EDIT. I seem to have got it working now by enabling loopback on my monitor channel. However, as it is plugged into active monitors, the level is quite low, so they don't blow my brains out, hence the level in DC is also very low

* EDIT 2. I have managed to change the bottom and top level on the meters, but no joy with the auto gain on the phase meter, all I get is a tiny spec in the middle. Any ideas ?

I seem to have got it working now by enabling loopback on my monitor channel. However, as it is plugged into active monitors, the level is quite low, so they don't blow my brains out, hence the level in DC is also very low

Mirror output Main on some of unused ADAT channels by left click and enable loopback on it instead of Main. It will replicate mix, but you will be able to set level to 0 and feed hotter signal into DigiCheck.

Hi Matthias, I tested Digicheck NG on Mac and it is really cool!  smile   

But there is something missing with the Two Channel Level Meter: the RMS "Hold" marker.  Before with the older .073 version, we could choose between "Hold, slow, off".  Now, there is only the "slow" option.

Do you think you will put the "hold" marker back eventually?

We'll try.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

We'll try.

Cool!  smile

90 (edited by cowudders 2020-08-07 12:11:38)

MC wrote:

We managed to add two new features:

- Added Prevent Sleep option in menu

My Mac didn't go to sleep for a while now, so i started looking around and it seems DC prevents this even when the really useful option 'prevent sleep' is unchecked. Can anybody confirm this?

http://cowudders.mur.at/rme/dcsleep1.jpg

awesome new digicheck! love it!

but what I dont understand:
how do I get sound into the surround view?
when set to lets say ADAT1/2 (L & R), it is not picking up the output, but the input (microphones connected to ADAT in 1 & 2)

is it the loopback-mac problem?

I think the new version can only access the inputs so far, no playback, no outputs. I really hope this will be added.

You can use the loopback of your outputs and set digicheck so it monitors the inputs with the same number, but you cannot use the inputs then simultaneously (or it will mess up the metering). Quite a workaround..., I am still on Mojave and are still using the old Digicheck for that reason.

hselters wrote:

I think the new version can only access the inputs so far, no playback, no outputs. I really hope this will be added.

You can use the loopback of your outputs and set digicheck so it monitors the inputs with the same number, but you cannot use the inputs then simultaneously (or it will mess up the metering). Quite a workaround..., I am still on Mojave and are still using the old Digicheck for that reason.

How do you select anything but the inputs on the old Digicheck 0.71? I can only select 'Input' in 'Input Device Setup'?

MC wrote something about that playback and output channels (!) will come up as a source in a future update of DigiCheck NG, without the need for loopback, which would be awesome.

cowudders wrote:

How do you select anything but the inputs on the old Digicheck 0.71? I can only select 'Input' in 'Input Device Setup'?

Yes, it also only could monitor Inputs, so we have to use loopback.
But of course I cant loopback 6 or 8 channels and therefore kill 6 to 8 mic ins....

95 (edited by hselters 2020-09-02 22:15:54)

In the old DIGICheck 0.73 I can select between 'Core Audio' and 'Hardware Level' in the Input Device Setup. Core Audio is bound to the Inputs, but by selecting Hardware Level I can choose  between Output, Input and Playback on all connected RME Devices.

EDIT: Selecting Hardware Level only works for the level meters in 0.73, not on the scopes or analysers.
It would still be nice to have that functionality back in the new Digicheck, ideally of course for all functions.

Yes i would also like to get the good old Hardware Level function back. It was way simpler that way and kept the inputs usable. Now i can't monitor what's going out of my convertors outputs because the loopback is pre fader.

And one more problem that i came across in v.85:
when setting the 0dB reference on the meters (settings) to anything less than 0dBFS, this new reference becomes the max value for the yellow and red indicators, so it's not possible to set them any higher than the 0dB reference on the meters. This worked in 0.73.

i too miss the possibility to select output channels to be analyzed. as it was possible with the old DC.
thanks for the update though.

Hello
In new update , is it possible to use this while using other sound cards? Like scarlett series
I wish this happens

99 (edited by cowudders 2020-09-21 10:59:59)

cowudders wrote:
MC wrote:

We managed to add two new features:

- Added Prevent Sleep option in menu

My Mac didn't go to sleep for a while now, so i started looking around and it seems DC prevents this even when the really useful option 'prevent sleep' is unchecked. Can anybody confirm this?

http://cowudders.mur.at/rme/dcsleep1.jpg

sorry for bumping, but does this sleep-prevention even when unchecked only happen on my system? thanks!

Hi Guys. This may be a noob question but I just got a RME babyface pro fs. am having some issues with getting enough signal into digicheck NG. I followed the video to create the loopback into digicheck NG but the signal isnt loud enough to give analysis. I have taken some screenshots but I am not sure how to upload them here. Could someone help possible?