1 (edited by countjodius 2020-06-10 01:28:19)

Topic: TotalMix locking up along with audio driver, requiring restart.

Hi all,

I'm having a frustrating problem with TotalMix when using my Babyface Pro on a Macbook Pro.  When using the set up for video call teaching (Zoom, Teams), everything will run smoothly for 10 mins or so, and then suddenly the application will lag and my video call will freeze along with Total Mix.  This seems to lock the audio driver as even with unplugging the interface, my core audio is no longer working (spinning wheel mouse pointer when hovering over Totalmix or "Sound" in System Preferences.)  I will then have to restart my system, which also takes much longer than a regular restart. 

I am using Loopback on the Main Out and initially thought it may be something to do with that, but the problem has also occurred during Logic sessions when no video conferencing software is running, and with Loopback disabled.  Most recently lock out was when editing a Logic project containing a video file, so perhaps it could be related to graphics?

I have tried removing TotalMix and Fireface USB, along with reinstalling the most recent versions along with updating the Babyface firmware.  All other applications are current versions also.

My system set up if required is:

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
Macbook pro Retina 13 inch Early 2015
Processor: 3.1 GHz Intel i7
Memory: 16Gb 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: Intel Iris 6100 1536 MB

When crashing during my lessons, I've had my wife's older Macbook on hand as a back up, and the same set up is working 100%, so it is not a hardware fault with the Babyface Pro.  This set is a 2012 macbook on High Sierra 10.13.16.  TotalMix version 1.64.

As mentioned, it's making my current living of teaching music online really difficult, so would love to get a solution asap!  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Re: TotalMix locking up along with audio driver, requiring restart.

Have you tried all available USB ports? Can you set up 10.15 for a test on a new partition or an external drive?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

3 (edited by countjodius 2020-06-10 16:30:52)

Re: TotalMix locking up along with audio driver, requiring restart.

Thanks for getting back to me Daniel.

My Macbook model has 2 USB ports and this happens on both unfortunately.  I can certainly look in to the partition option, though have never tried this and don't have a spare external drive at present.

Are there any diagnostic or system reports that would be useful for you to see?  It seems strange that this has only recently started happening, so wonder if it could be a conflict with something else that has ben installed.

Thanks