Topic: FF400 - how to adjust pre-DAW input gain, and safety precautions

1. I see in TotalMix that the HW input volume is set to -inf. But in logic I'm able to monitor through software monitoring and record input. The input volume doesn't seem to be changeable. Question is, I'd like to be able to set the input gain in TotalMix and have it reflected in logic.

There doesn't seem to be a way to do that?

2. How do I disconnect the FF400 from MacBook pro? Can I just turn off the 'ext power' and unplug it from the Mac? With USB devices I'm used to hot unplugging, but I'm not sure with FW.

Connection is FF400->FW400->FW800->TB2->TB3->MacBook Pro USB-C.

Re: FF400 - how to adjust pre-DAW input gain, and safety precautions

Don't hotplug firewire.  Never!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

vinark wrote:

Don't hotplug firewire.  Never!

Why?

I've been "hot-plugging" FW for over 20 years. Never had a failure. So do most other Mac users. In fact, it's impossible to avoid when changing external HD's. Unless you want to shut down the computer every time you change a harddisk. And then still. Some computers leave the FW (and USB) powered on when shut down.

My FF400 must have been hot-plugged at least hundreds, if not thousands of times. It's still going strong after 15+ years.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Why I say this? Happened to me after maybe 200 problem free hotplugs. destroyed firewire chip of my tascam fw1804, 150€ repair. Technician explained it is a design flaw of the fw plug. Sometimes the wrong pin makes first contact sending the floating earth potential through the chip. A case of it might never happen, but if it does .....

Vincent, Amsterdam

Also confirmed by RME in this forum that this design flaw in the fw plug exists.
There is nothing that RME or any other vendor could do to prevent this, its a kind of "physical plug" thing "by design".
I luckily did not became a victim of this in the past, but after reading this I changed year ago to USB on my UFX.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Ok what is the correct plug and unplug sequence for FF400? I've been on USB and PCI all along so I'm unfamiliar with FW.

I understand it this way to only plug/unplug when both devices are powered down.
Vinark, what is your advice ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Same and if you have no ground even disconnect everything from mains. I agree it is a haslle. Luckily I rarely change anything, and the only fw I use has a powerswitch.

Vincent, Amsterdam

9 (edited by sambasevam 2020-06-11 17:02:58)

So power off MacBook and FF. Connect FF. Power on FF. Power on MacBook.

And power off MacBook. Power off FF? Seriously? o_O This isn’t mentioned in the RME manual. Can someone from Rme confirm please?

sambasevam wrote:

So power off MacBook and FF. Connect FF. Power on FF. Power on MacBook.

And power off MacBook. Power off FF? Seriously? o_O This isn’t mentioned in the RME manual. Can someone from Rme confirm please?

What else ?! You only need to ensure to not move the plugs, when there is still power on one of the two or on both of the devices.
So the easy formula is, move plugs only then if ther is not power on the devices.
In what order you power off the PC or recording device doesnt matter at all.

Then can I power off FF and keep my laptop powered on? And likewise keep laptop powered on and then power on FF?

Is it sufficient just to ensure FF is powered off while connecting and disconnecting? That’s a more reasonable restriction to live with.

12 (edited by vinark 2020-06-11 20:42:14)

No the potential power surge comes from the ground of the laptop
all is unlikely but it happened to me on a desktop

Vincent, Amsterdam

Ok what exactly is the power on and off sequence then?

It is only about plugin fw. then both off first. sequence not important

Vincent, Amsterdam

15 (edited by cyrano 2020-06-12 14:48:20)

ramses wrote:

Also confirmed by RME in this forum that this design flaw in the fw plug exists.

Where can I find that?

There is nothing that RME or any other vendor could do to prevent this, its a kind of "physical plug" thing "by design".
I luckily did not became a victim of this in the past, but after reading this I changed year ago to USB on my UFX.

Seems very hard to believe as many thousand Mac users never do that and there are NO reports of any damage.

And if that plug is so bad, why is RME using it on their older devices to connect tot the host PCI card? I mean, that's an unfortunate use of that plug, especially since power polarity is reversed from a standard FW connection.

Nearly everyone who sees that connector will assume it's Firewire and not some proprietary thing, as the FW plug isn't used for anything else, AFAIK.

I'll admit I have seen PCI cards with very unfortunate errors in the design, but those were typical things you see if you buy cheap stuff from unknown vendors. And that includes badly placed shielding on the card so that an unattentive user could plug in upside down, resulting in reverse polarity power on the device, usually ending in destroying the controller.

I have for many years supported hundreds of Mac users and never had any problem with hot-plugging. A lot of our users used a harddisk to transport files and unplugged these several times a day, for years.

And why is no other vendor warning for this problem?

16 (edited by ramses 2020-06-13 10:11:56)

cyrano wrote:
ramses wrote:

Where can I find that?

I only know I read it here around 2-3 times on forum.
Use the search function of the forum or by google.

You know the trick to append "site:forum.rme-audio.de" to your google search to narrow the search to this forum ?

cyrano wrote:

And why is no other vendor warning for this problem?

Maybe because it happens only rarely and the standard is already through ...

And now Firewire is a dead horse anyway ..

Yes, Ramses, FW is a dear horse to me... big_smile

I know about the search, but this is an awful difficult one to pin down, as firewire is a too generic search term. Besides, it often gets abbreviated to FW.

18 (edited by ramses 2020-06-13 10:21:30)

Yep, I tried now as well and also got no suitable search results back.

The FireWire problem with breaking by plugging/unplugging was documented throughout the web (mostly forums), but also as support documents (search Google for >FireWire port broken<), affecting all manufacturers. Here is the post where Daniel showed how it looks like when it hits you.

https://forum.rme-audio.de/viewtopic.php?id=3385

Before 2010 we linked to a Wiebe white paper, but it seems that one is now only found in the archives of the web:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic … IKg7YY001A

> Seems very hard to believe as many thousand Mac users never do that and there are NO reports of any damage.

Seriously, you must live in a bubble not to have heard about this!

> And why is no other vendor warning for this problem?

Apogee, Focusrite, Steinberg, M-Audio etc etc. Do a search!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thx, Matthias.

The first link in your post just links back to this thread. The second link, however, works. From that Wiebetech doc:

Port failures are often discussed but remain a relatively infrequent
problem, especially if the FireWire storage device and the host
computer are properly designed.

CONCLUSIONS

Most of the failure modes of FireWire ports are believed to be caused
by low quality or worn out FireWire cables, operator error during
device and cable insertion, inadequate PHY port protection, and
improper design of external FireWire devices which causes voltage
surges to the host port.

I own several Wiebetech devices and respect that company's technical knowledge immensely.

But it's clear from that document this isn't a bad firewire standard, or bad firewire plug as was stated here, but bad design.

I used to repair Apple computers. Both USB and FW port failures were extremely rare. Fortunately, as this means logic board replacement for Apple repair, and that is expensive.

And if you really want to be nitpicking, even shutting down everything to attach a device isn't absolutely safe. I've had a server here recently with a slowly failing PSU. It put out almost 20V on the USB socket for a few hundreds of milliseconds when powering up. Enough to destroy the attached KVR sometimes. As servers don't get rebooted all that often, the KVR was simply deemed faulty and replaced. It wasn't until the KVR was obsolete someone noticed the new one also failed now and then. So the server was pulled and landed on my bench. It was up for replacement anyway.

Apple has auto resetting fuses on FW ports and on USB ports. I've seen far too many other computers without those. If you plugin a shorted USB cable, you might end up with a defective port. As these auto fuses sometimes take up to 24 h to reset, users might conclude the port is defective. And sometimes, these fuses fail too, of course.

As most of us know, today's devices aren't as sensitive anymore to ESD. Yet, it still happens. That would certainly explain some failures. As for the rest of the failures, it's usually not possible to explain why the port failed. But then, any component can fail, isn't it?

I've certainly seen much more external harddisk controllers fail because of bad design of the power plug. There's one manufacturer, with a good reputation that used to use mini-DIN 5p connectors for power. At one time in the past, they reversed the power connection on these plugs in their new models. Users don't pay attention to this. After all, it's the same brand, the same plug. When they connected an old power supply to a new device, or vice-versa, there was 12V on the 5V pin, resulting in a defective controller. IMHO, that's very bad design, not even user error in my mind.

These all are failures of the design of the device. Not failure of the standard.

Compare it to the discussion on the net about phantom power killing ribbon mics. It CAN happen, if you have a bad cable. So it is far safer to switch phantom off before connecting a ribbon mic. Even if it's one of those amplified ribbons that do need phantom power. Only, phantom power usually has a dedicated switch. Imagine having to switch off the mixer to change attached mics...

My FF400 has one dodgy FW port. No, it's not due to the problem discussed here. It's due to the unit having been in a hot rack for a long time and it's caps being degraded because of the heat. I'll be recapping that now that I have a second one available.

I also know of at least one brand/model of audio interfaces that had a higher rate of FW chips failure. IMHO it's not the fault of the manufacturer, as the design is fairly solid. Could be a series of lesser FW chips, or, by chance these have been used on badly designed FW cards?

I run several Mac Mini servers (and even still one of the old Xserves). It's simply impossible (due to users connected) to shut these down to plug in whatever. Most of these get devices connected to USB and FW from time to time...

I'm also old enough to remember the time when you even had to remove the power plug from the mains before attaching a keyboard. Or simply moving the computer. Remember the IBM-PCg? As far as I'm concerned, these days are over...

cyrano wrote:

The first link in your post just links back to this thread

Fixed!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Must've been a very badly designed card AND a very bad cable...

NO fuses, NO current limiting. Wouldn't be so bad with USB, as it has very limited power. But I've seen USB ports able of outputting over 2 amps too.

We all want to charge our USB devices (smartphones) from a USB port, don't we. Hell, there are even folks out there who keep their coffee mug warm from USB power...

I’ll repeat, can RME confirm the following is safe for FF400:
OFF:
Turn off FF400 by unplugging adapter. Then unplug USB-C cable (dongle chain) from MacBook Pro.

ON:
Connect FF400 to USB-C on MacBook Pro. Then turn on FF400 by plugging in adapter.

Is that safe?
Turn on

It is safer than removing the FW cable while units are turned on. There is no absolute safety, though.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

It is safer than removing the FW cable while units are turned on. There is no absolute safety, though.

What is the recommended sequence then? Can you just list it out please?

You did already!

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You did already!

I take it you're referring to:
OFF:
Turn off FF400 by unplugging adapter. Then unplug USB-C cable (dongle chain) from MacBook Pro.
ON:
Connect FF400 to USB-C on MacBook Pro. Then turn on FF400 by plugging in adapter.

Great, that's doable.

For the 1st question on how to adjust pre-DAW input gain, the setting is in Fireface Settings (Weird!) and not in TotalMix. In the Analog Inputs - the mic gains are listed. They're also controllable directly in Logic where a knob shows up in the input channel.

This isn't how it was in USB products, so I take it that's an improvement that happened over the years. Good!