Topic: Fireface 400 replacement power supply

I'm now using my Fireface 400 externally powered after many years of bus powering. I have a low quality wall wart that powers it ok but would rather have a better quality, preferably RME branded supply. Does the RME NT-RME-2 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ … y_for.html fit the specs/barrel size? If not what is the barrel size so I can source a higher quality supply myself?

Thanks!

Re: Fireface 400 replacement power supply

2.1 mm inside (+), 5.5 mm outside (-). Note that the newer RME power supply uses a lockable conector that will not fit into the old FF400 socket. The one in the link (photo) is the older, matching one.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi.  I was going to ask a similar question.  My FF400 is currently BUS POWERED and working fine.  Is there any reason at all that I would need to switch to a wall wart power or am I perfectly fine to keep using it with the bus power from my system?

If it works, it works....

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

RME SUPPORT - I have to revisit this.  I am bus powered down on FF400 but have a COUNTRYMAN TYPE 85 DI box on the way which will take phantom power. I  do not use any phantom now but will.  When I start using phantom, is a power supply necessary for my FF400? thank you, wonderful RME designer people.

External power is not necessary for 48V phantom power.

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

What is the main reason for using an external power supply for FF400?  In case where whatever host system being used cannot send enough juice down the bus?

Some laptops have a mini firewire connector, 4 pins, without power. Some PCI FW cards don't have power (or sifficient power) and thunderbolt to FW adapters don't supply enough power either.

In these cases, you need the external power supply.

Also, people working outside might want to power from a car battery to save the laptop's internal battery. That's why the FF400 internal power is "universal" and accepts from 12 to 16 VDC.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...