Topic: FF400 doesn't get recognized even though it's externally powered

When I plug in my FF400, it doesn't get recognized on MBP with USB-C. The FF400 is connected with external power adapter. If I unplug my other TB devices, it gets recognized. The same config works at other times, so this isn't 100% reproducible.

I get "Accessory needs more power" message. If I look at the system information, none of the devices are consuming more power than available. So, what gives?

Steps:
On Mac catalina, plug FF400 through dongle chain. FF400 is externally powered (setting in the back set to "ext power").
Open RME Fireface settings -> doesn't open.

Re: FF400 doesn't get recognized even though it's externally powered

Are you sure your power supply works? If so then the message is caused by other devices.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Are you sure your power supply works? If so then the message is caused by other devices.

Yes, because the FF is powered with the power supply. Without the power supply the unit won't turn on. This is via the dongle chain.

The problem is, if I disconnect the FF400, the other device (a bus powered SSD) works fine. It's either this or that, but that shouldn't be the case since the FF is externally powered.

Have you tried other Thunderbolt ports? They're not equal...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

cyrano wrote:

Have you tried other Thunderbolt ports? They're not equal...

Well, I've gotten it to work for now. I've also installed the v1.71 firmware update.

If I plug the FF into right front port (and then power it up), then the SSD into left front port, then the dock into left back port, things are in working order. The MacBook adapter is connected via the right rear port.

So, knock on wood, everything's working now.

Nice you've got it running.

I seem to remember right-hand ports being able to supply a bit more current. Don't know if that's true for every MB model, tho...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

Ran into this issue again with my Mac mini and solved it again by plugging it into the black magic station thunderbolt input. Yeah, it weirdly didn't work directly connected in its own TB port, but somehow works via daisy-chaining (using the same bus as the black magic). Go figure.

Lots of information that should have been in the first post already: Model of Mac, what port, using additional devices, using a dock....

The last post: some users need to unplug/replug the unit after boot for being detected. Maybe that was the point, not the change of ports?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

Lots of information that should have been in the first post already: Model of Mac, what port, using additional devices, using a dock....

The last post: some users need to unplug/replug the unit after boot for being detected. Maybe that was the point, not the change of ports?

Mac mini 2018 (Intel). Port - thunderbolt. Additional devices - other TB ports, RME USB connected. Dock - no.

I tried unplugging and replugging a few times and it didn't work. Maybe I'll try putting it back to the old port and see if that works.