1 (edited by Petimar 2020-06-15 23:57:59)

Topic: Older Fireface UFX with new computer Win 10

I have probably at least a 10 year old Fireface UFX running on a Win XP system and its been great.

I am thinking of building a new computer and wondered if I will have any problems moving it to a Windows 10 machine?  I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments of what to look out for, etc?

Re: Older Fireface UFX with new computer Win 10

This will work fine...

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I have a brand new RYZEN 3900X with an x570 mobo, windows 10, all brand new.  Running an old fireface 400 on a TI CHIPSET based PCIe card and it's a beautiful thing.  100% fine for you.

A friend has been running a Fireface UFX on Windows 7 in his studio for years. I'm helping him set up a new Windows 10 computer.  Today we downloaded the Windows firewire driver version 3.125.  When we connect the interface, it's not recognized as an audio device. It appears with a yellow problem indicator in the Other Devices list in Device Manager, and under driver properties, it shows that the driver isn't installed.  I tried uninstalling the UFX from device manager, disconnecting it from the computer, reinstalling the 3.125 driver and reconnecting it without success.  I also tried installing an older version of the driver, also without success.  I'm encouraged to find in this thread that it should work, which means there must be a problem with this particular computer.  Any suggestions on how to proceed?

5 (edited by nateandrews 2020-06-19 04:34:45)

Buy a Texas instruments chipset firewire card.   I think mine is STARTECH brand.   Got on Amazon or eBay.  $40USD or so.  Has to have TI chipset.   You should not be installing WINDOWS FIREWIRE drivers.    The card should be picked up automatically and will show as Texas instrument 1394.    If u r using some onboard mother board firewire or a non TI chip, you are likely to have probs!

Should look lke THIS

https://ibb.co/3Sxd14t

I have *never* installed a windows firewire driver and have always used T.I. chipset - known to be the most comatible for audio stuffs!!

This one from EXSYS worked good for me years ago with an UFX.
https://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/exs … 75938.html

EXSYS cards are quice nice from build quality I heard from a friend at that time.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks for the suggestions.  I wasn’t on site to help with this, so I missed a very basic thing. When I looked at the specs for my friend’s computer, I discovered that it has no FireWire. He installed the USB driver and the issue was resolved.

Well now.  That's a nice easy fix.  Glad you got it sorted.