Topic: Babyface + Fireface400

Hello,

I’d like to improve my old setup at little cost, in order to have 8 or 10 LINE inputs for multitrack recording my synths, without any particular routing.

I own an old Babyface and a 2012 Mac Mini (no firewire), OS 10.9.5, with Logic X.
I would like to buy a Fireface400 and using it as a slave.

So my questions are:
1. Could it be some drivers’ conflict?
2. How do I connect the 2 units, Babyface being the master via usb?
3. Are there any particular configuration in Totalmix or DIGICheck in this case?
4. Sometimes I have to stop the recording of my BF because the signal is replaced by a constant BIP noise, which I think it’s a ground loop. So, Would it better to connect the 2 units with external power supply?

Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2020-06-23 08:32:39)

Re: Babyface + Fireface400

I see a generic problem, that you 1st need a firewire connection to pre-configure a routing
from the analog inputs to ADAT and from ADAT to the analog outputs.

As you might need to switch between different reference level on a per port basis it might be
beneficial to keep the FF400 connected via Firewire to be able to maintain it on demand.
Otherwise its possible to store a configuration to the device (if you have a FW connection) and to use it in stand-alone mode, see manual.

Does your Mac Mini support thunderbolt ? Then maybe a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter might be possible to use, check the forum for that or ask RME support via mail what to take care of.

Sry, no answer to 4.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Since my need is to have 8 or 10 LINE IN, do you think that the ADI8 DS would be also ok to expand my BF and set easily the Totalmix for multitrack recordings?

In that case I would have only to connect the 2 units with 2 ADAT cables, right?

4 (edited by ramses 2020-06-23 13:46:00)

Optimistic wrote:

Hi, thanks for the answer.

Since my need is to have 8 or 10 LINE IN, do you think that the ADI8 DS would be also ok to expand my BF and set easily the Totalmix for multitrack recordings?

In that case I would have only to connect the 2 units with 2 ADAT cables, right?

Exactly.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13