Topic: [Solved] Madiface XT + Ferrofish A16II crackles at 96k

Hardware: Madiface XT (connected by USB3 to Win 10 PC, latest drivers), 4x Ferrofish A16 MK2 AD/DA

Target: 64 In/Outs @96k ; Each 2x A16MK2 connected to Madi 1 and Madi 2 (Fiber)

Problem: In theory everything is working , but as soon as I switch to 96k with 96k frame , there are crackles on the inputs without having connected anything.
When I switch to 48k frame the crackles are gone but then I loose 8Ins/Outs per A16.

Clock: madiface XT internal.

Any idea what could be wrong?

Re: [Solved] Madiface XT + Ferrofish A16II crackles at 96k

Please provide more details, both units need to be configured for the same MADI frame format. Are you changing the frame setting on the Pulse or on the MADIface?

Regards,
Jeff Petersen
Synthax Inc.

3 (edited by simonfeger 2020-06-23 05:50:01)

When I change the frame setting I do it on Madiface and on the A16s. So I always use same frame settings on Madiface and on all connected A16s.

simonfeger wrote:

When I switch to 48k frame the crackles are gone but then I loose 8Ins/Outs per A16.

Why is that?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Because on 96k with 48k frame the A16 uses two channels each

Which is fully normal and no reason to loose channels. MADI supports 32 channels at 96 kHz, no matter if 48k or 96k frame is used.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

When I'm on 48k frame and I send something to Madi Channels 1+2, I can see on the A16 meters that there is automatically also an output on 3+4. That's why I think I can only use 1+2,5+6,9+10 etc.

Then the A16 did not switch to 96 kHz - clock setting wrong...or the UFX+ was not switched to 96 kHz.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Madiface was set to 96k and 48k frame and the A16 also showed 96k after syncing.

But besides this 48kframe behavior, what could be the reason for crackling when using 96k frame?

You should contact Ferrofish and ask what is going on here with the channels. Maybe that clears the crackling too.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

I need to correct myself. There are crackles as soon as switching to 96k no matter if it´s 96 frame or 48k frame.
We also tested our old Madiface USB with the same A16MKIIs same cables and it ran on 96k without any issues.
So the Ferrofishs are fine.

Could it be a defective unit?
We just bought it used without any documents so we don´t know how old it is.
Serialnumber is: 23621263
Any chance to get this repaired?

Thanks

Issue found. Problem solved.

Mistakenly the Madiface XT has been connected to a USB2 Port.
As sonn as we switched to a USB3 port the crackling at 96k was gone.