Topic: Need Babyface Pro FS Advice

Hi, so I’ve been using the regular Babyface Pro for my iPad Pro setup for a few years and am now needing another interface for a laptop DAW studio for another room, and I’ve narrowed it down to either the Babyface Pro FS or an Apollo Twin. The speakers for the room will be the little IK Multimedia iLoud Micro monitors .. which only have RCA jacks on them, the Babyface Pro of course has XLR outs .. can I use these cables to connect the speakers from the Babyface?:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail … le-10-foot

And then my Laptop is a Dell XPS 15 with these two types of USB ports:

2 - USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports with PowerShare
1 - Thunderbolt 3 (USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C) port with Power delivery

Which port should I connect the Babyface Pro FS too? Will it matter latency wise? My main studio has always used desktop PC’s with PCIe audio interfaces like my EMU 1616m .. which I can get down to as low as 2-5 milliseconds .. how low can I expects to go with the Babyface Pro FS, the laptop has an I7 processor with 32gb or ram. Thanks

2 (edited by ramses 2020-06-23 06:44:03)

Re: Need Babyface Pro FS Advice

You can use BBF Pro analog output 1+2 also for unbalanced connections.

Please note that these outputs are not servo-balanced, so pls find the following comment in the manual ch 5.1:

"The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption!"

In terms of USB ports you need to try. I remember that Dell XPS is a story of its own ...

RTL wise you can expect the following latencies with RME, see this blog article which contains an excel screenshot with the RTL of different RME solutions: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/
In short: FW, USB, TB are very close to each other.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

Please note that these outputs are not servo-balanced, so pls find the following comment in the manual ch 5.1:

"The short circuit protected, low impedance XLR line outputs do not operate servo balanced! When connecting unbalanced equipment, make sure pin 3 of the XLR output is not connected. A connection to ground might cause a decreased THD (higher distortion) and increased power consumption!"

In terms of USB ports you need to try. I remember that Dell XPS is a story of its own ...

RTL wise you can expect the following latencies with RME, see this blog article which contains an excel screenshot with the RTL of different RME solutions: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/
In short: FW, USB, TB are very close to each other.

https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/index.php/Attachment/2343-UFX-UFX-RayDAT-Latencies-v2-jpg/

Ahh the old DPC latency scandal .. yeah I’ve been dealing with that issue with various motherboards over the last 20 years in various desktop builds, I was able to tune this XPS to where it’s solid yellow bars .. no red .. not ideal .. rather have solid green .. but it’s workable, it’s good you brought it up though cause yeah .. the way they come you get cracks and pops with any interface.
So yeah I read the part in the manual about the XLR not being servo balanced .. not quite sure what that means .. can I use an unbalanced XLR to RCA cable, or just run a 1/4” TRS to dual RCA out of the BFP headphone out? Thanks for the help!

4 (edited by ramses 2020-06-23 20:09:00)

> not quite sure what that means .. can I use an unbalanced XLR to RCA cable, or just run a 1/4”
> TRS to dual RCA out of the BFP headphone out?

I wrote you already the answer in post #2 ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

ramses wrote:

> not quite sure what that means .. can I use an unbalanced XLR to RCA cable, or just run a 1/4”
> TRS to dual RCA out of the BFP headphone out?

I wrote you already the answer in post #2 ...

Ok yeah I wasn’t sure if you were including the headphone 1/8 and 1/4 jacks as analog outputs as well as the XLR’s on the back of the unit, so I think I understand your saying output 1 + 2 are literally the XLR jacks on the back, so would the headphone outputs just technically be called headphone outs, or would you number those output 3 + 4? Perhaps a stupid question .. but I lost a lot of brain cells during my live playing days