1 (edited by autopoiesis 2020-06-26 18:31:22)

Topic: Digiface USB basic setup questions

Hi all,

Apologies for the noobish questions in my first post here.  I'd like to rehaul my recording setup into something actually proper, after reaching the limit of my patience with OSX-clocked aggregate audio devices and other terrible ideas like that.  Digiface USB looks like it could enable this rehaul quite well, but I just want to make sure I'm planning this correctly before I drop 800 EUR on this plus a couple of ADAT interfaces.

I'd prefer to be able to record from 18-22 analog inputs, and route audio to 12-16 analog outputs (in addition to a main mix and headphone mix).  I have a MOTU Ultralite Mk4 that has ADAT in + ADAT out + 6 analog inputs + 8 analog outputs (besides main and headphones), and I'm considering buying two Behringer ADA8200s which each have ADAT ins + 8 analog inputs + 8 analog outputs.

Here's how I imagine the setup, where Digiface is the clock master over all the other interfaces (via its ADAT outputs):

Digiface outputs:
- Digiface ADAT output 1 => Ultralite ADAT input, which syncs the Ultralite and sends it up to 8 channels of audio
- Digiface ADAT output 2 => ADA8200 #1 ADAT input, which syncs ADA8200 #1 and sends it up to 8 more channels of audio
- Digiface ADAT output 3 => ADA8200 #2 ADAT input, which syncs ADA8200 #2 (and I wouldn't need to send this audio)
- Digiface ADAT output 4 => Expert Sleepers ES-3 (Eurorack module for DC-coupled output) ADAT input, which syncs the ES-3 and sends it up to 8 more channels of audio

Digiface inputs:
- Digiface ADAT input 1 <= Ultralite ADAT output, which sends 6 channels of audio to the Digiface
- Digiface ADAT input 2 <= ADA8200 #1 ADAT output, which sends up to 8 more channels of audio to the Digiface
- Digiface ADAT input 3 <= ADA8200 #2 ADAT output, which sends up to 8 more channels of audio to the Digiface

Would this work in terms of routing and synchronization?  And when I record, the Digiface USB would be the only audio device I interact with in the DAW, right?

By migrating into this setup away from my failed experiment of an aggregated Zoom L-20 + MOTU Ultralite Mk4, I would be giving up standalone (without a host computer connected) monitoring, but I'm hoping that this setup would minimize my roundtrip latency (I like to monitor my DAW, and I also send timing-critical clock and CV signals out of my audio interface) and have no inter-device synchronization issues like the ones I've struggled with when aggregating audio interfaces through OSX Audio MIDI Setup.

Thanks all.

Re: Digiface USB basic setup questions

Typical RTL of different RME solutions, see here in my blog in this article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

So you want to sell the old stuff and base everything on RME or only the recording interface ?
Do you need a PCIe based solution or doesn't it matter whether to choose an USB/TB or PCIe based solution ?

What is your budget ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

3 (edited by autopoiesis 2020-06-26 19:18:39)

ramses wrote:

Typical RTL of different RME solutions, see here in my blog in this article:
https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … 8-RME-UFX/

So you want to sell the old stuff and base everything on RME or only the recording interface ?
Do you need a PCIe based solution or doesn't it matter whether to choose an USB/TB or PCIe based solution ?

What is your budget ?

Thanks for that post, helpful context on latency.  I'm pretty confident that the Digiface USB will be lower latency than anything else I've used (Zoom and SoundCraft mixers, and the MOTU Ultralite Mk4).

I want to sell the Zoom L-20 (which, with 20 analog inputs and standalone mixing ability, was pretty nice for recording until I needed more outputs than it offers), keep the MOTU (I love using its DC-coupled outputs for CV), buy 1-2 ADAT interfaces, and base the MOTU + ADAT interface(s) around something capable of orchestrating -- "aggregating" and syncing -- them.  For this role, I've considered these USB or TB interfaces that have at least 2 ADAT inputs and outputs: Digiface USB, Audient iD44, and Presonus Quantum 2626 (not likely to buy this one for a few reasons).  I'm primarily choosing between the Digiface and the iD44, but leaning more towards the Digiface.  I just want to make sure that my understanding of the configuration is correct.

USB/TB is preferred, as my only computer is a MacBook Pro.

I've paid €500 for my MOTU and would really like to keep the total below €1400.  (It would come to a total around €1300 if I added the Digiface USB + two ADA8200s.)  I'm not recording professionally for clients or anything like that, so I'm not bothered by the ADA8200 not having the nicest preamps.

4 (edited by ramses 2020-06-26 19:40:20)

The definitive answer is UFX+ with USB3/TB support and MADI.

Most smaller interfaces only offer 1 ADAT port, difficult if you have two ADA ...

802 I wouldn't take, cause I do not like that the Gain settings of Mic and Instr inputs cant be saved digitally to snapshots.

Then you only have the choice between UFX II or UFX+.
And as the price difference is so low and only the UFX+ offers two computer interfaces (USB3 and Thunderbolt)
I would defintively choose UFX+.

This is the only recording interface with USB3/TB and which offers 2x ADAT and great expandability by MADI.

DURec and AUTOSET are also very useful tools....

With DURec you can directly attach a harddisk, USB stick or ssd to make either
- backup recording to the DAW recording or
- to use the UFX+ as tape deck in standalone mode
The latter I use very often, because for most quick recordings for capture an idea I wouldnt like having to fire up DAW as well.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

autopoiesis wrote:

Hi all,

Apologies for the noobish questions in my first post here.  I'd like to rehaul my recording setup into something actually proper, after reaching the limit of my patience with OSX-clocked aggregate audio devices and other terrible ideas like that.  Digiface USB looks like it could enable this rehaul quite well, but I just want to make sure I'm planning this correctly before I drop 800 EUR on this plus a couple of ADAT interfaces.

I'd prefer to be able to record from 18-22 analog inputs, and route audio to 12-16 analog outputs (in addition to a main mix and headphone mix).  I have a MOTU Ultralite Mk4 that has ADAT in + ADAT out + 6 analog inputs + 8 analog outputs (besides main and headphones), and I'm considering buying two Behringer ADA8200s which each have ADAT ins + 8 analog inputs + 8 analog outputs.

Here's how I imagine the setup, where Digiface is the clock master over all the other interfaces (via its ADAT outputs):

Digiface outputs:
- Digiface ADAT output 1 => Ultralite ADAT input, which syncs the Ultralite and sends it up to 8 channels of audio
- Digiface ADAT output 2 => ADA8200 #1 ADAT input, which syncs ADA8200 #1 and sends it up to 8 more channels of audio
- Digiface ADAT output 3 => ADA8200 #2 ADAT input, which syncs ADA8200 #2 (and I wouldn't need to send this audio)
- Digiface ADAT output 4 => Expert Sleepers ES-3 (Eurorack module for DC-coupled output) ADAT input, which syncs the ES-3 and sends it up to 8 more channels of audio

Digiface inputs:
- Digiface ADAT input 1 <= Ultralite ADAT output, which sends 6 channels of audio to the Digiface
- Digiface ADAT input 2 <= ADA8200 #1 ADAT output, which sends up to 8 more channels of audio to the Digiface
- Digiface ADAT input 3 <= ADA8200 #2 ADAT output, which sends up to 8 more channels of audio to the Digiface

Would this work in terms of routing and synchronization?  And when I record, the Digiface USB would be the only audio device I interact with in the DAW, right?

By migrating into this setup away from my failed experiment of an aggregated Zoom L-20 + MOTU Ultralite Mk4, I would be giving up standalone (without a host computer connected) monitoring, but I'm hoping that this setup would minimize my roundtrip latency (I like to monitor my DAW, and I also send timing-critical clock and CV signals out of my audio interface) and have no inter-device synchronization issues like the ones I've struggled with when aggregating audio interfaces through OSX Audio MIDI Setup.

Thanks all.

Yes this will all work as you want it. I see no problems.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

6 (edited by autopoiesis 2020-06-26 20:31:16)

ramses wrote:

The definitive answer is UFX+ with USB3/TB support and MADI.

That does look really nice, but it's €2200 and my budget is <€1400 (including the €500 already spent on the MOTU).

Anyway, I'm glad to hear that my understanding of the Digiface configuration is right.  I'm new to working with optical I/O.

I'll probably go for the Digiface + 2x ADA8200 to augment my MOTU.  It will take some getting used to, losing the standalone monitoring that I often do with my Zoom mixer (and I know that I can regain standalone monitoring if I bought a many-channeled mixer with direct outs, but again, the budget), but I can always directly monitor the 6 inputs from my MOTU if I'm in a pinch.

Do I also understand correctly that, in order to monitor with the Digiface USB, all you need to do is also power-on the computer that the Digiface is connected to (and that has the required drivers installed)?  You don't need to launch the TotalMix app, or a DAW, unless you want to control levels, right?  If so, that wouldn't be too steep of a workflow adjustment for me.

autopoiesis wrote:

Do I also understand correctly that, in order to monitor with the Digiface USB, all you need to do is also power-on the computer that the Digiface is connected to (and that has the required drivers installed)?  You don't need to launch the TotalMix app, or a DAW, unless you want to control levels, right?  If so, that wouldn't be too steep of a workflow adjustment for me.

Yes!

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

That's great news.  Thanks @vinark.  Not sure why people get hung up about devices like this not having "standalone" capabilities, if it's that simple ¯\_(ツ)_/¯