Topic: ADAT output issue with RME UFX II / Total Mix

Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with sending CV clock triggers from Ableton via ADAT to my modular using Expert Sleepers modules. For some reason, I can't send any signals to any of the ADAT 2 outputs directly from Ableton. ADAT 1 software playback and outputs work fine.

The reason seems to be that the signal is not recognized by the Total Mix software playback for ADAT 2 channels in order it would send it to the hardware output and from there to my modular.

For example, I successfully can send a signal to ADAT 1 (output 15) but when sending it to ADAT 9 (output 23) I get nothing within Total Mix. I have all faders exactly in the same way for all ADAT channels. I have ADAT 2 selected as optical 2 output (consumer, professional makes no difference).

As this is hard to explain, I took a video that hopefully illustrates the dilemma: https://streamable.com/x6i69u

So the question is: how can I get that independent clock signal sent to output 23 (ADAT channel 9)? What am I missing?

Re: ADAT output issue with RME UFX II / Total Mix

ADAT = 8 channels.
spdif = 2 channels

You've set optical output to spdif, I'm afraid. A common mistake.

At least, that's how it reads to me...

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

3 (edited by jiggy 2020-07-07 09:24:04)

cyrano wrote:

ADAT = 8 channels.
spdif = 2 channels

You've set optical output to spdif, I'm afraid. A common mistake.

At least, that's how it reads to me...

Hi Cyrano,

I have both outputs set to ADAT (=optical 2 is set to ADAT) and the issue remains. I tried switching it to SPIDF and then back to ADAT.

To add, I can send the ADAT 1 channel signal to ADAT 9 and it does work meaning the ADAT 2 works. This however is no solution as the signal is now duplicated. I need to be able to send separate signals out from each channel.

So the problem is that for some reason I can’t send any signals to ADAT 9-17 software playback channels that would then forward it to the ADAT 9-17 HW outputs.

Can you check the Audio MIDI Setup and a different software (like Reaper)?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

5 (edited by jiggy 2020-07-07 13:14:54)

MC wrote:

Can you check the Audio MIDI Setup and a different software (like Reaper)?

Another day, another try. This time everything works like a charm even all the settings and cables are exactly like I left them yesterday evening trying to make it work. This made me wonder what I did differently today and came to the conclusion that it matters what is the order you turn on your equipment.

Today I turned on my gear in the following order: 1) Eurorack case (where I have Expert Sleepers modules connected to RME ADAT 1 & 2 Ins and Outs, 2) RME, and last 3) Mac.

Yesterday when I tried to make it work I turned them on like I usually do when I work ITB: 1) Mac, and when I have logged in 2) RME UFX II and then 3) turned on my Eurorack to test my new Eurorack modules.

@MC: should it make any difference in what order you turn on your equipment together with UFX II usually?

I tested all the ins and outs and everything works without hic-ups!

Thanks everybody for offering your help! smile