1 (edited by gotcyanide 2020-07-07 05:58:07)

Topic: BabyFace Pro FS line level distortion

I just got my Babyface Pro FS and am having a problem and can't find the answer in the manual. I have my guitar plugged directly into input 3. The pickups are pretty hot and are distorting the preamp. The software pad doesn't lower the input enough to compensate. Nor does turning the level down on the interface. Is there another way to lower the volume further?

I'm using Windows 10, let me know if you need any other info.

Thanks

Re: BabyFace Pro FS line level distortion

Have you tried setting the input level reference to +4dbU in the channel settings? Otherwise, you can only really reduce the input level at the source.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I did change the input level reference to +4dbU. Seems strange that I'd have to turn down the input of my guitar to compensate for the preamp.

All the Universal Audio interfaces have this problem too. Insufficient headroom - in the case of UA, even for low-output passive guitar pickups.
Easiest solution is to turn the guitar down, but that does rely on you having a tone-bleed circuit on the guitar so you don't lose a load of treble when you lower the guitar volume.
The alternative is an active DI box attached to the mic-level ins (with P48) or a passive DI box attached to mix/line as appropriate.

So in addition to paying $900 for this, I have to spend an extra $100-200 for a di-box because my guitar is too hot? Um....

gotcyanide wrote:

So in addition to paying $900 for this, I have to spend an extra $100-200 for a di-box because my guitar is too hot? Um....

You don't have to. You can turn the guitar down. As I pointed out, this isn't a unique situation.