Topic: Multiface malfunction

Hi there !

I've had many Multiface units over the years and never had a problem except with this one.

It used to work just fine, but needed a power supply connected, although I use it with a PCIe card.

Now it simply won't work. The ''Host error'' red light is the only thing that shows a sign of life, but it stays on all the time. Even worst, after a while being connected, the red light goes away, and when I unplug the unit and plug it back, the light comes on just a second and then turns off.

Also, the HDSP settings window says ''error'' at the bottom. Totalmix says that the unit is a Digiface and that its disconnected.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the power supply is connected or not, or if I reboot or update the drivers. I use the exact same PCIe card and computer with another unit, a Multiface II, and it works like a charm.

Any idea ? I'm pretty sure it needs servicing, how do I go about doing that ?

Thanks !

Emmanuel

Re: Multiface malfunction

The question is, how old is the Multiface?

All gear fails someday. What you experience, is slow failure of the power regulation inside the MF. Probably bad caps.

If repair is still worth it, vs new, is up to you, of course.

MB Pro - 2 X FireFace 400, FF800 & DigiFace USB
ADAT gear: Korg, Behri, Fostex, Alesis...

I'm not sure how old it is unfortunately, since I am the second owner, but its front plate is grey so it does have many years of service behind.

Thanks for the possible explanation ! I am willing to at least check on how much it might cost me to have it repaired.

A visual inspection might show bulging caps. That would at least prove my suspicion.

It doesn't really matter, as repair is a complete board exchange, I think.

Upon visual inspection, I do see one bulging cap and other anomalies. Maybe I'll contact a local repair shop that I trust before sending the unit in for a more costly repair.

Here are some photos of the board : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ … sp=sharing

I see at least 4 to 5 bulging caps. Fortunately, no exploded ones :-)

There's some shmoo, but I can't make out why. Could be glue that changed appearance due to age/heat. Could be coffee.

It doesn't look to bad, really, considering the possible age of the Multiface.

Thanks a lot for your input, super appreciated ! smile

I'll bring it to said repair shop and ask how much they would charge me to change what's faulty. If too expensive, unfortunately, it will go to waste ! We'll see, I'll try to extend its lifespan as much as reasonable.

Cheers

If your pcie card is working, new second hand mulrifaces without cards can be very cheap, availability depending.
https://www.marktplaats.nl/q/mulriface/

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

I have a host error at my Hammerfall dsp multiface. The red led is not showing something else than "Host error".