Topic: TCO Problems

Hi All, wondering if anyone can offer any help?

I have an HDSPe AES and TCO housed in a Sonnet TB Rack.

I primarily use Pyramix and SADiE, and need to send Timecode OUT of the DAW to automate other devices in the studio. Pyramix can only do MTC and SADiE can only do APP or an audio output (and all 16 outs on the card are in use).

I bought the TCO as the website says specifically ‘An application can send APP or MTC to the TCO, which will generate LTC on hardware level’ which looks to very specifically answer my needs.

However, in real life the TCO doesn’t do this at all, it only outputs from APP and when querying it with RME support the answer from HQ was to buy a MIF4!

Given that I’ve bought this whole set up around having this functionality I’m reluctant to buy a MIF4 especially given current global circumstances and the downturn in work, if the TCO is sold as having this function then it should do it! In fact I don’t understand the point of the TCO if it doesn’t do this; it feels like a half finished product!

Can anyone suggest any free or low cost workarounds to this? I need to be able to switch timecode source as fast as switching applications on the desktop. My only current thought is to sell it all and move to a different manufacturer, which seems disappointing when I’ve championed RME since first starting in the industry and have owned about 15 of their interfaces!

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance!

Re: TCO Problems

The functionality is one of the software, not of the TCO. It can not generate Time Code on its own. The functionality may be limited on Macs, and there is no such thing as APP.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your reply, however...

Firstly this is Windows not a Mac, secondly the web page for it on the RME site literally states specifically that it will generate timecode based on an MTC input from the software, which I am sending it!

Thanks,
Shaun

Please provide more details, driver/firmware, software tested etc.

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

I gather you have this working with Cubase, but not with other software. This would indicate an issue or incorrect configuration of the other programs, assuming they do support Time Code going out. Have you contacted the software manufacturers?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

shauntrotter wrote:

Firstly this is Windows not a Mac, secondly the web page for it on the RME site literally states specifically that it will generate timecode based on an MTC input from the software, which I am sending.

Edit: Ok, I now understand the confusion. Will change the website description.

Indeed the SMPTE output is quite limited, that's why it is not mentioned in the description. The TCO  manual (from 2015) therefore states:

• The output of timecode requires an ASIO program that supports this feature. Although this function is part of the ASIO specification, most popular programs do not support it.

So only APP makes the Timecode output work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Hi, apologies for the delay replying, I didn’t get a notification so didn’t realise you had both replied.

MTC doesn’t work with Cubase, only APP so there isn’t a configuration issue. I’ve spoken to the software manufacturer and they won’t be adding APP into it as they do a (Much) more expensive DSP powered system which provides more comprehensive LTC facilities.

Changing the website would avoid anyone else having the same issue as me but doesn’t fix my problem! I understand the manual is correct but the marketing material on the website is a direct contradiction! Is there any possibility to add this functionality into a new driver version?

If it isn’t a possibility to add this functionality, I’ll have to change my set up away from these products and look at a different option. Would you be able to take them back and offer me an exchange to a different product?

Thanks,
Shaun

It is not possible to add such a feature. You have to contact your dealer and/or local distributor for further questions.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME