1 (edited by musicbynumbers 2019-12-13 19:10:35)

Topic: Windows speaker setup not remembered on PC reboot via 8 chan WDM

Hi Guys,

I've got a HDSPe MADI FX and it's been great so far (as have my older RME cards) smile

The only issue I've got that is starting to be a major hassle is that when I've got a few WDM devices set as multi-channel (in the RME settings) and then I try to set the speaker setup (via the older windows sound panel), If I set them to anything other than stereo, then the settings are not remembered upon the next windows boot and instead act like they are back to stereo.

This makes it one more step to set up if I want to audition a film in 5.1 or 7.1 as settings always go back to stereo

It still looks like it is multi-channel in the speaker set up except the speakers are "ghosted out" and no longer work.

The only fix is to click the configure box in windows sound set up and force it to be 7.1 again.

This is with the last driver I could find putting me on 2.14 for the WDM drivers. I did notice the driver below this seems to be a lot higher number at 429 but I don't think that is for my sound card right?

If this is a known windows issue. If you know where I can report it that would be great.

Any help would be appreciated! smile Thanks!

--------------------------------------------
This is what it looks like after a restart. It should be set to 7.1 but always goes back to stereo and the view on the right is no longer 7.1 or stereo which is weird

https://stash.reaper.fm/37811/RME_WDM%20issue_After%20reboot%20it%20resets%20to%20stereo.PNG

Re: Windows speaker setup not remembered on PC reboot via 8 chan WDM

The below is how it should look though and does look on initial setting until you restart windows.

https://stash.reaper.fm/37812/RME_WDM%20issue_After%20redoing%20setting.PNG

An additional note is that if I then try and play a video file with a 7.1 or even 5.1 mix in it after a windows restart, the app will hang on the audio part of trying to play the file. 

So even though it shows like the 1st image above and you would think would at least be stereo or 5.1. It won't actually even play audio again until you force it to select one of the options again. Then it works once more.

Bump. smile

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,

Everyone had this issue until we added new code to the other drivers that limits selection to 7.1, then Windows was able to remember it. Or in other words: there is no perfect solution known. We could add this preselection to the driver, but then you would get either 7.1 or 5.1, fixed (plus stereo), but no longer have a choice. So maybe the current way with re-enabling the desired mode is better?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks MC for the reply.

If it worked as you described (stayed at 7.1 after reboot) then I would I would be fine with this.

For some reason though currently it doesn't for me.

Currently after restart the speaker options for an 8 channel WDM looks like the first picture and trying to play a 7.1 audio or video file through say VLC causes VLC to instantly crash.

The only fix for this is for me to first force windows speaker config back to 7.1 after each restart. (then it looks like the 2nd picture). This then works properly with programs like VLC and others that use WDM drivers.

I'd be happy if it actually remembered 7.1 as that's what I need mostly anyway smile

Could it be because I've renamed the playback device in the sound properties and that is causing me to have behaviour different to others?

Thanks,

7 (edited by musicbynumbers 2020-01-07 16:17:33)

Ah sorry MC..

I read your reply slightly wrong.

I think you are saying my behaviour is what's expected currently unless you made the changes to add in a lock option.

I can't speak for everyone but as someone who has a separate surround WDM to my stereo WDM (but both summed into the RME mixer). It would be far more useful for me to be able to "set and forget" the surround and not have to do this as part of my boot sequence. Especially as I have two devices I have to do this for as both default to stereo every boot and I have to change them both to 7.1

I can see that this might be not preferred for people who tend to switch their output from stereo to surround via the same device output though rather than have separate ones set up differently for certain media players etc.

It would be fantastic to have an option per WDM device to lock to 7.1 (or maybe any of the lower output standards too.)

I definitely thought this was a bug rather than expected behaviour. smile

Thanks,

To be clear: you can change between stereo and 7.1 then, and both will be remembered. A test driver will be available in a few days.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks. I'll try changing to stereo first and then to 7.1 and see if that makes it stick on reboot (I think that's what you mean).

But will look for the test driver in a few days, appreciate that! smile

Thanks,

Here is driver 2.15 which should remember the 7.1 choice.

http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver … in_215.zip

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks! I'll give it a try over the weekend and report back!

Gave it an initial test and it seems to work well so far. I'll test it more over the weekend.

As you mentioned, It looks like it locks the 8 channels to 7.1 with no way of changing to 5.1 or quad.

I can see this might cause issues for studios that work on 5.1 still and want to test/run films via WDM drivers and if they don't have a 7.1 system, it might cause them to not have a proper downmix to their 5.1 system.

Maybe it's worth working towards some kind of way of defining what the 8 channel speaker is set up as and putting it somewhere that advanced users could get to.

Just a thought! Thanks for the fast turnaround on this. Makes it much better to use for me at least smile

Small update. Not ran into any problems so far with this forced 7.1 version of the drivers.

Thanks for doing this! Makes a world of difference not having to remember to change it on every boot! smile

14 (edited by kolkoo 2020-07-16 07:24:43)

Hi, sorry for necroing this but any chance I can get a similar driver for Raydat?

Edit: Nevermind I just looked at the driver changelog and it seems this was added in 4.26. It's bneen a while since I updated any drivers using 4.2.20 here. Thanks!