1 (edited by WaihekeSoundie 2020-07-19 23:38:09)

Topic: Fireface UC running 3.19 on Catalina is randomly disconnected from USB

So..

I am playing audio (for a professional dance show) with Fireface as my output device from my MacBook and randomly the Fireface disconnects then (usually) re-connects after a few seconds.

I'm running Fireface UC with 3.19 drivers on Catalina 10.15.6 on a mid 2014 MacBook Pro, 2.6 GHz i5 with 8GB.
I was running High Sierra and also having a disconnection issue so I updated to Catalina. Not necessarily a smart move I now see as it has not fixed the issue but reconnection is now slower.

As I say I do live sound - dance shows that sort of thing - so it is useless to me: worse than an expensive paperweight in that context over USB.

I've read lots of posts about this disconnection issue. I read that macBook drop outs was a huge issue for quite a while and know that Apple's changes to CORE Audio were a big issue for many manufacturers.. 

But is this now solved? I have latest drivers and still have the issue.
So where to from here? Upgrade my MacBook? Switch to Windows 10? Sell the Fireface if I can?
Your advice would be appreciated.

Re: Fireface UC running 3.19 on Catalina is randomly disconnected from USB

You seem not to see the difference: disconnection is a usb unplug/replug process. I am not aware of any such issue discussed anywhere. Drop-outs are quick mutes, and seem to be solved in latest OS.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by WaihekeSoundie 2020-07-18 22:08:12)

Thank you MC
Yes maybe the issues I was reading about were mostly to do with dropouts not loss of the host USB connection.

So the issue is likely to be my hardware then? Is that what you are saying?
Either the Fireface, my MacBook or cables..

I have swapped cables - they are all short so I don't think it is that.

I guess I have to try with some other computers... yes?
Nothing else you can suggest?

Try a different power supply, and check if you can reproduce the issue by switching off/on electrical devices near you. Does the Host LED come on when 'disconnected'?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thanks I will explore the power side.

Yes when the Fireface loses audio:

Audio reverts to playing from the laptop
I see that the red "Host" light  is on
Then a couple of seconds later the host reconnects and puts up the Fireface USB settings screen for a second or so
Then audio resumes through the Fireface

There are no loud bangs or pops during this.