1 (edited by bluewater 2020-07-18 04:13:23)

Topic: Buzzing Sounds While Playing Multiple Audio Sources - Babyface Pro FS

I recently purchased a Babyface Pro FS. It has the latest 126 firmware and the 1168 drivers. When playing audio in my DAW and also opening other audio sources (like Spotify and YouTube via Chrome) it starts producing loud buzzing sounds that continue after I close both programs and open either one.

To my provide some details on my system it is as follows:

DAW - Ableton Live 10 Suite
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
GPU- Nvidia RTX 2070
Memory - 32 GB
MB - Asus B450-F Motherboard
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME
OS - Windows 10 Home - Build 2004 - Fresh install

I've tried the following troubleshooting steps without success:

Rebooting
Reinstalling all drivers
Trying each USB port (2.0, 3.0, 3.1 gen 2)
Running with and without the optional power supply
Running with just headphones instead of monitors connected
Running with no mic connected
Flipping the monitor sensitivity switch
Changing sample rate and buffer size

The issue persists. I purchased this interface because I had so many driver issues with my Audient unit, so I'm really hoping it's an easy fix and figured I'd ask the experts before returning and going with something else. Maybe it's a Windows 10 2004 issue?

I should also state that sometimes changing to 1 particular sample rate (48 or 192) it will be fine for a short time and then sometimes after changing back to another rate the issue recurs.

Thank you all very much.

Re: Buzzing Sounds While Playing Multiple Audio Sources - Babyface Pro FS

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your computer. There are significant improvements available for AMD computers (AGESA support updated plus audio improvements).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

3 (edited by bluewater 2020-07-18 19:56:39)

Okay, so some really good news that I hope helps others. Issue is fixed!

I was already on the latest BIOS version (3103) and AMD chipset driver collection for my motherboard. So, I bit the bullet and bought Windows 10 Pro instead of Home and installed 1909 again and it is working.

For more detail:

The reason I bought Windows 10 Pro is that Microsoft has removed the ability to defer feature updates on Home editions. I'm an IT / AV administrator and know that you can use group/local policy to defer feature updates up to a year on the Pro, Education and Enterprise editions as I configure our workstations for this at my work.

I applied this, reinstalled everything and I have no issues! I am able to change sample rates and buffer size and can play Spotify, YouTube and work in my DAW. No more buzzing! Windows 2004 can take a flying leap.

I am back on 1909 too because of random blue screens on my daw PC: Pagefault in none paged area. The daw is not connected to the internet normally and has tinywall installed to block everything when needed on occasion. so no problems with deferring windows update.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
BFpro fs, 2X HDSP9652 ADI-8AE, 2X HDSP9632

5 (edited by ramses 2020-07-19 08:56:24)

For me an upgrade installation from 1909 to 2004 succeeded which saved me an enormous amount of time.
It was stable, but I also switched back .. for other reasons:

1- some beloved gadgets from orbmuk did not work anymore under 8Gadgetpack (https://orbmu2k.de/) anymore
  I found workarounds, but the more colorful replacements had the same clarity thus didn't give the same overview

2- the internet check always resulted in fail although connectivity was there, this was simply annoying

3 - not sure, had a certain feeling that random audio loss became more frequent, but tbh ... still had no time to check
  for this more systematic

to 1) at a certain point I will sadly have to say good-bye to Orbmu2k's package. It was so good because it had a good simple design. Not as colourful as a parrot, not an overloaded menu

to 2) this sucked time .. I got it even fixed one time, but then after 1 or 2 more upgrades this mess started again.

to 3) needs time .. will have to test ASIO via DAW, MusicBee and foobar2000 and this for approx 1h each to get a feeling whether its driver or application and what application ...

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13