Topic: Can all inputs from a Fireface 800 and Fireface 802 be used together?

I've recently thought about buying a Fireface 802 in addition to my Fireface 800. Sadly it is not possible (as far as i know - correct me if i'm wrong) to connect more than one ASIO device to Cubase 7.5 - using ASIO4ALL this is possible but i would prefer a solution with the direct RME ASIO drivers.

With my RME Babyface and the Fireface 800 i can not use the RME drivers directly (is it planned to have ONE driver for all RME devices so that something like this could work?) if i want to use both interfaces.

So my question is whether it is possible to use a Fireface 800 and Fireface 802 together (which have the same RME driver i think?!) in Cubase with the RME ASIO driver for all inputs?

Re: Can all inputs from a Fireface 800 and Fireface 802 be used together?

You can use devices together that use the same driver. So connect 800 and 802 with FireWire and they will both work in ASIO directly. Connect 800 with FW and 802 with USB and they won't work.

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

MC wrote:

You can use devices together that use the same driver. So connect 800 and 802 with FireWire and they will both work in ASIO directly. Connect 800 with FW and 802 with USB and they won't work.

Thank you, that's exactly what i've expected. To ensure that - that means that i can use all input/outputs (analog+digital) of both devices directly via the RME Fireface ASIO driver in Cubase right?
So for example it would be possible to use the Babyface standalone as AD and use it's analog inputs/outputs via ADAT connected to one of the Firefaces.

I have been able to connect an 800, an Octamic II and an 802 together and, but the 800 must be the master. 

The two Firefaces are connected by FW800.  Then I went FW800 out from the FF800 to thunderbolt adapter to USBC/Thunderbolt3 adapter (all Apple adapters) into a 2017 Dell i7-7700 2.8 GHz with 8 GB of Ram, Win10 lastest. It works using Word Clock as a sync (24/48) for all units and using ASIOforall - the latest version and using the latest Reaper. 

The Ocatmic II goes ADAT into the FF800.   I remember doing this 4 years ago on a Macbook Air 2015 using the same setup (with one less adapter) and it worked well enough that I recorded a total of 28 tracks live in concert at 24/48 wave, again using Reaper.

I tried going the other way with the FF802 as Master, but it did not work. The recorded tracks from the analogue inputs of the FF800 would end up being delayed.  I could drag them back in time, but that is a pain.

I was surprised it would work on a PC and I am going to do some other stability/CPU load testing because I have another big band to record tomorrow and I will need 16 channels.  Sadly, I no longer have the Macbook Air, but what a beast that thing was.  If the Dell doesn't end up working, I will find an older Mac with Thunderbolt.

Good Luck getting yours to work!

Turns out there are still problems of delays withe the analogue inputs.  I should have known Mattias would be right!!

What kind of "delay" exactly are you referring to?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME