1 (edited by Musicbuyer 2020-07-31 11:56:43)

Topic: Multiface nightmare

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone is able to shed light on my situation:

My setup is as follows: multiface 2, rme pci card V1.9 (black), windows 7 64bit, Intel motherboard. The multiface 2 is powered over pci. Everything worked fine until...

I acquired an additional multiface (version 1) with a PCMCIA adaptor (the flat cable version) as a spare. I wanted to test it so I powered down the system, connected the multiface1 to the existing pci and connected the multiface1’s psu. I then booted up the system and the following occurs:

1. The red light goes out and both midi lights flash on then off (as expected);
2. Noise can be heard in the headphone socket;
3. All TotalMix levels begin to fluctuate wildly;
4. The multiface led display is then stuck in a cycle whereby the red led us active followed by the yellow midi out light.
5. The control panel cycles through connect-> disconnect or says error. Also random lock/ no lock;

I powered down the system and reconnected my working multiface2. Upon powering up the system I find the multiface 2 acting exactly the same as above - noise in all outputs, levels fluctuating and the midi out light on.

To see if it was caused by the pci card I tried the PCMCIA card with a pci adaptor - same result for both interfaces.

I even located an old Sony laptop with windows xp 32 to test the PCMCIA card - same result!

So I now appear to have 2 broken multifaces, a broken pci and a broken PCMCIA card.

I have tried 3 different (known working) FireWire cables and 2 different rme power supplies.

Note: I am able to upgrade/ downgrade the flash successfully in both the PCMCIA and pci card. I have tried firmware 15/17 (PCMCIA) and 54,54,55 (pci) and all driver combinations without success.

I have also cleaned the pci card contacts with electrical contact cleaner.

Re: Multiface nightmare

Don't use contact cleaner. Use a pencil eraser gum. Do it quit long.
Of course this might not be it. Could be that a defect in your new old mf1 broke both the pci and pcmcia card, but I am just guessing.

Vincent, Amsterdam
https://soundcloud.com/thesecretworld
Babyface pro fs, HDSP9652+ADI-8AE, HDSP9632

3 (edited by Musicbuyer 2020-07-31 13:32:29)

Re: Multiface nightmare

vinark wrote:

Don't use contact cleaner. Use a pencil eraser gum. Do it quit long.
Of course this might not be it. Could be that a defect in your new old mf1 broke both the pci and pcmcia card, but I am just guessing.

Thank you for the suggestion. I attempted using the eraser to clean the pci contacts but it did not solve the problem.

I am considering the possibility the lvds transceivers etc need replacing in all 4 devices:

https://youtu.be/J-h1JVh26Jc

I have an oscilloscope so will see if any data is reaching the fpga before replacing the chips.

Is there an ic compatibility list somewhere?