Topic: 48v Button

I am relatively new to RME Totalmix for Babyface Pro, and this is my first post, so please bear with me.

Somehow I lost the 48v button for the second channel on Totalmix. When I click on the tool icon on the first channel, it is clearly visible, but, when I click on the same tool icon for the second channel, if is simply not there. Can anyone tell me how to get it back? I'm sure it is very simple, but I am not seeing how to do it. (I suppose it's like what Columbus supposedly said about discovering America--it's easy once you know where it is.)

Many thanks,

Stephen

Re: 48v Button

No one has ever encountered that. Can you provide a screenshot?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

Thank you for responding. I actually made a screenshot last night, thinking my description of the problem may not have been clear.

Unfortunately, I don't see how to attach a screenshot to this reply. So, I am going to try an alternative. Here is a link to the screenshot, which I have temporarily posted on my website:

http://www.verseandsong.com/library/images/totalmix.png

If you are able to open the screenshot, you will see that, on the first channel, labelled AN 1/2, the 48v and Pad buttons appear immediately under the Stereo button under Settings. On the second channel, labelled Instr. 3/4, in place of 48v and Pad, you will see +4dBu under the Stereo button under Settings.

I suspect that the second channel was somehow switched from AN 1/2 to Instr. 3/4, but, no matter how many times I try to set it back, it won't save.

If you can tell me how to get the 48v and Pad buttons back on the second channel, I would be very appreciative.

If you cannot open the screenshot, please provide instructions on how to attach it to a post.

Many thanks,

Stephen

Hello!

No reason to get worried !
You probably had the Inputs set as Mono channels in TMFX. That's why you 'd have been seeing two channels with +48V.

If you click on the "lit" 'Stereo' button for AN1/2, it will become de-activated, and you will have two Mono Channels labelled AN1 and AN2. With the same options as now, i.e +48V and pad !

+48Volts, or Phantom Power as it is also known, is provided only through XLR connections. Since your BF Pro has only 2 XLR Inputs, that's why you have this option for either 2 Mono channels or 1 stereo!

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

A thousand thanks!
No, a million thanks!
No, a billion thanks!
No, a trillion thanks!
No, a gazillion thanks!

Columbus was right: it's easy once you know where it is. One single click of the mouse solved the problem. Amazing! I can only imagine that I was dragging the mouse and, applying a bit of pressure with my index finger, inadvertently clicked something I didn't intend to. I looked and looked and looked for a way to undo what I had just done without realizing it, but couldn't find one.

While I was searching for a solution, I came across a reference to the Totalmix manual. I have the hard copy of the Babyface Pro Manual, which is also available online, but I couldn't find one specifically for Totalmix. If anyone can give me a link, it might obviate the need to bother this forum again the next time I run into a problem.

Thank you again (a gazillion times). You have been a tremendous help.

stephenwarndt wrote:

Somehow I lost the 48v button for the second channel on Totalmix. When I click on the tool icon on the first channel, it is clearly visible, but, when I click on the same tool icon for the second channel, if is simply not there.

So in reality you missed the channel names on top and clicked on the third channel?

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

7 (edited by MetalHeadKeys 2020-08-11 19:13:30)

@MC
Hello!

I think that because he was not familiar with TMFX, the OP didn't know that the inputs could be configured as either Mono or Stereo. He only paid attention to the channel numbering, so:

With Mono Inputs, the 'second channel' is AN2, but
   With Stereo Inputs, the 'second channel' is Instr3/4

So he thought that he, mistakingly, has made a change in the second channel's layout, and 'lost' the 48V and Pad Options, where in reality, he should have accidentally clicked the "Stereo" button in either AN1 or AN2.

@stephenwarndt

You are very, very much welcome! smile
And thanks, well... for your thanks! smile

About TotalMixFX Manual, there should be a dedicated section for it in your manual.
Apart from that, here is a great video series tutorial from RME:

https://www.rme-audio.de/knowledge-base.html

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632