Topic: Thank You..Forum Members

Hello All
I am a newly (1 month) minted owner of RME ADI2 DAC...
I come from a Chord Qutehd Feeding to Primaluna Integrated Tube amps and Sonus faber Auditor Bookshelves..

Based on some posts here is my setup

• Connected to HT bypass of Integrated

• Using a pair of 12DB attenuator

• Auto Ref On

• Loudness(default +7db on treble and bass)

• DA filter SD slow

• All other settings Default

Chord made the vocals sound a bit forward in the soundstage..
Now the vocals seem "recessed"...or a little thin..

Any suggestions for making the vocals stand out a bit?
Regards
Kalyan

Re: Thank You..Forum Members

hi

I think your issue is the activated loudness control. you boost bass and treble by 7 DB and of course, your mids get recessed. maybe you try to disable loudness and turn your volume up by 7db

if that is still not enough you could eq at 1K a few db with Q 1.0

Thanks @kerim.yavuz..
I will definitely to turn the loudness off
Give it a listen then try the EQ boost at 1k
smile

4 (edited by KaiS 2020-08-13 11:20:21)

vidya46 wrote:

Thanks @kerim.yavuz..
I will definitely to turn the loudness off
Give it a listen then try the EQ boost at 1k
smile

To favorably use the loudness function you need to adjust the "Low Vol Ref" level.

Determine the Volume Dial setting for your usual listening level.
Then set "Low Vol Ref" 20dB lower, or even slightly below.
This way loudness is inactive automatically at your normal listening level, but helps when you, for any reason, listen lower.

If set correctly, different listening volume levels should sound almost the same, instead of becoming bass shy and dull.

KaiS wrote:

To favorably use the loudness function you need to adjust the "Low Vol Ref" level.

Determine the Volume Dial setting for your usual listening level.
Then set "Low Vol Ref" 20dB lower, or even slightly below.
This way loudness is inactive automatically at your normal listening level, but helps when you, for any reason, listen lower.

If set correctly, different listening volume levels should sound almost the same, instead of becoming bass shy and dull.

@MC
Matthias, do you think it would be a good idea to add KaiS's suggestion/procedure as a general starting point to the user manual? It is very useful.

6 (edited by Curt962 2020-08-17 15:54:41)

Hello All!  As a long time Fan of Dynamic Loudness, It seemed to me that KaiS's explanation was much the same as that outlined in the RME User Manual.  No matter..setting Dynamic Loudness 20db below your normal listening level is an excellent baseline setting.  There's wiggle room (+/-) to adjust for personal preference, etc. 

Dynamic Loudness is a wonderful tool, and based firmly in Science.  It also adds greatly to the overall enjoyment of the RME listening experience.   Turn the Volume Down at Dinner Time...the Sound remains
tonally balanced, and full range.

Re:Fletcher-Munson Loudness Contours for an explanation.

Good Stuff!  Use it!! 

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes

Thanks @kerim.yavuz...That 1Khz boost by 1 db with a Q of 0.9 really made the vocals stand out..A little forward in the soundstage..
I believe the loudness only affects (or kicks in) when listening at night or at low volumes..
Anyways I have that turned off..

Sounds great
Regards

Vidya!

Nice that everything is working out.

On the Dynamic Loudness matter..

Please know that Dynamic Loudness does not "kick in" at any time.  DL is referenced to a Low Vol. Ref setting.  -35db as default.  It works on a sliding scale.  Over a 20db Vol Range, the amount of correction is reduced until it no longer exists.   

Example:  At Vol setting of -35, DL is applying Max Boost.   At -15 Vol...DL is gone.   We can adjust the Low Vol Ref easily in the IO menu of our DACs.

It's a brilliant system!  I cannot applaud it's usefullness nearly enough.

Enjoy!!

Curt

Vintage 2018 ADI-2 DAC. "Classic AKM4490 Edition"
Cables:  Red, and White Ones.
Speakers:  Yes