1 (edited by jeandado 2020-08-21 12:24:05)

Topic: white noise when using ADAT converters on Fireface 802

hello,

I try to expand the outputs of my 802,
so far I've tried ART octopre8, Ferrofish pulse16, and even Behringer ada8200.

all those units introduce a steady white noise when connected via ADAT to the connected 5.1 system (neumann kh120).
on a single speaker its just above hearing threshold, with all 5 connected it has the volume of a quiet roomtone / atmosphere.

the 8 outputs of the 802 do not have that noise.
I tried different ADAT cables, different audio cables (they're symmetrical anyway), both ADAT outs of the 802, wordclock BNC, slave options, nothing helps.

the volume of the white noise doesnt change if I chaneg the volume in totalmix from -100 to +6

what can I do?

Re: white noise when using ADAT converters on Fireface 802

Which optical output are you using, have you made sure it's not set to SPDIF format?

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Regards
Daniel Fuchs
RME

in "fireface USB settings", I can only change settings for "ADAT 2 output". its set to ADAT2.

the units were all connected to ADAT 1 though.

so I reduced the gain of the speakers to minimum and drive the outs in totalmix more.
this way it works. I did not have them cranked up, maybe 2/3.

anyway, still wondering why it had noise.

Hello!

Maybe it's a ground loop? Did you connect the converters at the same outlet as your other equipment?

Also, I researched your system a bit, as I don't own anything similar, and there is an "Input Ground Lift" switch on the back of your sub-woofer(KH810 I suppose). Did you try switching it on or off?

RME Gear: Digiface USB, HDSP 9632

MetalHeadKeys wrote:

Hello!

Maybe it's a ground loop? Did you connect the converters at the same outlet as your other equipment?

Also, I researched your system a bit, as I don't own anything similar, and there is an "Input Ground Lift" switch on the back of your sub-woofer(KH810 I suppose). Did you try switching it on or off?

thanks, I will check that smile