Topic: Basic connection issue 802 to Octapre

How do you slave an Octamic II to an 802? 802 has I/O. Octamic has “main” and “aux” where is the connection guide? Thanks very much

Fireface 802, Octamic II, UAD Quad, Midas Venice 320, Cubase, Windows 10.

2 (edited by ramses 2020-08-28 12:27:27)

Re: Basic connection issue 802 to Octapre

The usual way via ADAT.

Get (one or two) TOSLINK cables up to 10m (15m also works for me), connect the preamp with either one or two TOSLINK cables depending on whether you use only single speed (44.1/48) or whether you need double speed (88.2/96 kHz).

In detail:
- from Octamic II "Main" to 802 "ADAT1 IN"
if you need double speed additionally
- from Octamic II "Slave" to 802 "ADAT2 IN" (don't forget to set the jumper 4 on the Octamic II's back for double speed)
Quad speed (192 kHz) is also possible, but then only 4 of 8 mic channels are supported, because quad speed needs so much more transmission bandwidth (each audio channel requires multiplexing of 4 ADAT channels).

In terms of clocking there are several options:
1. use word clock cabling, clock master: 802 (see RME driver settings dialog, manual ch 7.1), clock slave: Octamic II (dip switch 2)
2. use AES cabling so that Octamic II can get clock via an AES input, then also the 802 is clock master
3. set Octamic II to act as clock master, set 802 to get clock from ADAT (clock slave)

From operational aspects its better, to make 802 to clock master, then the sample rate is being set by the Application
and the clock slaves, which are connected to the 802 automatically change the clock.

Cabling information:
If you need longer cables than 0.5m ones, pls check on your own for product options:
- for 75 Ohm cable for Word Clock:
  https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_ … ImVuIn0%3D
- for TOSLINK cable:
  https://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_optisch … ImVuIn0%3D

The Mutec TOSLINK cable is recommended, good quality and its easy to use, not too stiff and its thin enough so that you can twist easily two or even more cable and use plastic cable ties to give the "loose twisting" a little more stability.

In contrast to the Mutec TOSLINK cables the cables from Sommercable with very thick isolation turned out to be too stiff, because then it's impossible to twist several cables together.

Other advantages of Mutec cables: precise and not too large plugs, sits perfect, even useable when multiple plugs at the devices sit close to each other. Other cables can cause problems here, when plugs or isolation is to thick/stiff.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Thanks very much indeed.

You're welcome.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Sorry to sound picky, but is there a way to remove the (1) from all the RME inputs? this is a Windows machine. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled but it’s still there. Registry? Cheers

Sry, I don't understand what you mean, pls describe more in detail or provide a screenshot.

Just in case you are not familiar with posting pictures on forum: https://www.tonstudio-forum.de/blog/ind … rum-EN-DE/

7 (edited by paulkneipp 2020-08-29 10:21:46)

See how in TotalMix and Cubase, my 802 is seen as the second instance?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EMkdRB … sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DOiVN- … sp=sharing

8 (edited by ramses 2020-08-29 10:57:55)

Connect a second 802 and you know why wink This is useful in situations where you have multiple recording devices connected to the PC, that are accessible by the same ASIO driver.

This is the instance number of recording interface detected by Cubase / the ASIO driver.

In other words, this is a Cubase feature to show you, to which device a certain i/o port belongs when having multiple devices conneced which are supported / serviced by the same ASIO driver.

In my case I connected UFX+ and ADI-2 Pro FS R BE to the PC, the latter to be able to flash/upgrade firmware whenever needed. Both devices are supported by the same RME ASIO driver (MADIface driver).
Then Cubase shows the channels of UFX+ with "(1)" appended and the channels of the ADI-2 Pro with "(2)" appended.

If you need a different order of devices, then at least in the MADIface driver its possible to change the sort order of devices in the driver settings.

I see ok cool I can live with that. Everything is now racked up and patched in I’m really looking forward to tracking some drums tomorrow. Thanks again.

Could also be that this is a RME feature, comes to my mind, but I personally think one can live with that, seeing the good intention behind it.

The numbering is done by Windows and not resetable by the end user until one heavily fools around with rights and ownership in the registry (definitely not recommended).

Regards
Matthias Carstens
RME

So there’s no gates in totalmix?

paulkneipp wrote:

I see a gate is technically a type of expander so I will examine this tomorrow. Impressed with the monitoring and sound quality so far! Lots to learn in totalmix. Is there any archive of presets?

paulkneipp wrote:

Take those from the DAW .. usually the DAW has a rich selection of VST.

paulkneipp wrote:
paulkneipp wrote:

I see a gate is technically a type of expander so I will examine this tomorrow. Impressed with the monitoring and sound quality so far! Lots to learn in totalmix. Is there any archive of presets?

You have some predefined "example settings", but there is no archive. Everybody uses whats required for his setup.

Excellent. How do I check that the Octamic is slave at the corrent setting?

ramses wrote:

The usual way via ADAT.

Get (one or two) TOSLINK cables up to 10m (15m also works for me), connect the preamp with either one or two TOSLINK cables depending on whether you use only single speed (44.1/48) or whether you need double speed (88.2/96 kHz).

In detail:
- from Octamic II "Main" to 802 "ADAT1 IN"
if you need double speed additionally
- from Octamic II "Slave" to 802 "ADAT2 IN" (don't forget to set the jumper 4 on the Octamic II's back for double speed)
Quad speed (192 kHz) is also possible, but then only 4 of 8 mic channels are supported, because quad speed needs so much more transmission bandwidth (each audio channel requires multiplexing of 4 ADAT channels).

In terms of clocking there are several options:
1. use word clock cabling, clock master: 802 (see RME driver settings dialog, manual ch 7.1), clock slave: Octamic II (dip switch 2)
2. use AES cabling so that Octamic II can get clock via an AES input, then also the 802 is clock master
3. set Octamic II to act as clock master, set 802 to get clock from ADAT (clock slave)

From operational aspects its better, to make 802 to clock master, then the sample rate is being set by the Application
and the clock slaves, which are connected to the 802 automatically change the clock.

Cabling information:
If you need longer cables than 0.5m ones, pls check on your own for product options:
- for 75 Ohm cable for Word Clock:
  https://www.thomann.de/gb/sommer_cable_ … ImVuIn0%3D
- for TOSLINK cable:
  https://www.thomann.de/gb/mutec_optisch … ImVuIn0%3D

The Mutec TOSLINK cable is recommended, good quality and its easy to use, not too stiff and its thin enough so that you can twist easily two or even more cable and use plastic cable ties to give the "loose twisting" a little more stability.

In contrast to the Mutec TOSLINK cables the cables from Sommercable with very thick isolation turned out to be too stiff, because then it's impossible to twist several cables together.

Other advantages of Mutec cables: precise and not too large plugs, sits perfect, even useable when multiple plugs at the devices sit close to each other. Other cables can cause problems here, when plugs or isolation is to thick/stiff.