Topic: Newbie confusion with HDSPe FX device drivers and software.

Today I tried my first install of an HDSPe FX card in my Windows 10 PC.

I used the original (2013) install CD and ran rmeinstaller.exe which installed v1.14 driver software before fitting the HDSPe card. I assumed that it would be easy enough to download latest drivers and software at a later stage and the manual suggested that no (driver) uninstall would be required.

The hardware install went fine - the card was recognised on restart and Totalmix FX appeared in the system tray and ran fine.  HDSPE FX software confirmed that v1.14 was running.

I downloaded the latest drivers and firmware from the RME website. I installed the latest drivers and rebooted the PC. HDSPe FX software reported it was still on v1.14. Totalmix FX was still running OK.

The readme files confused me a bit – the software readme said that a deinstall would be required for v3 or previous drivers. It also said that new firmware would be required if updating from v2.94 or older. The firmware readme (for fut_wdm_dspe) suggested that it required v4.0 or later driver.  I assumed that this meant updating the driver first, then the firmware.

I uninstalled RME HDSPe FX (WDM) v 1.1.4.0 from Settings>Apps and Features. I reinstalled the RME HDSP driver (4/8/20 4.3.0.0) without error (It stated “ready to use”).

I restarted the PC hoping it would pick up the new drivers.  This time there was no evidence of RME apps in the system tray.
In Settings>Apps and Features I found Windows Driver Packages for both HDSPe FX 8/5/13 v1.14 and RME HDSP series 29/8/20 v4.3.0.0. I uninstalled the older version and rebooted with no change (no evidence of RME devices or software).

I have obviously fundamentally misunderstood something in the install procedure!!

I have done a search of the forums to try and find the best way to resolve this. I have not found anything that explains how I might rectify my errors.

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to advise the best procedure from here (or provide a link) before I get any deeper into the mire.

Re: Newbie confusion with HDSPe FX device drivers and software.

Usually you install latest drivers and then latest firmware.

Something like a "HDSPe FX" does not exist. Do you mean "HDSPe MADI FX" ?

Did you pick the correct driver from the download section ?
What is the filename of the driver where you have installation issues ?

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

The card is an HDSPe MADI FX.

I intended to download and install WDM streaming driver for HDSPe MADI FX, MADIface XT WDM, WDM-KS, ASIO. Version 2.14. PCIe driver for Windows 7/8/10, 32 and 64 Bit 2019-06-27 driver_pciefx_win_214.zip

I think I must have downloaded the driver for HDSPe MADI in error (2020-04-15 driver_hdsp_win_430.zip).

(silly mistake!!!)

Is it just a case of downloading the correct file and installing the correct driver and firmware?

All sorted!!!!

many many thanks Ramses  smile

You're welcome Paul.

BR Ramses - UFX III, 12Mic, XTC, ADI-2 Pro FS R BE, RayDAT, X10SRi-F, E5-1680v4, Win10Pro22H2, Cub13